JsonList parser

Hi,
is there a function that I can use in Graylog when a json key has a complex value, like a list of element?
I mean, if I have a json like:
{"DeviceProperties":{Name=OS, Value=MacOs}, {Name=BrowserType, Value=Chrome}}

is there something that can be used to map all of that list values?
For example
DeviceProperties_OS = MacOs and so on

Thanks
Gianluca

I think there is a JSON extractor, there is also parse_json() in the pipeline that you can follow with a set_fields() there were some other posts around here with people using them…

Hi, I used the json Extractor but the result, for list object is not a valid json

It seems to be the java HashMap.toString method output instead.
With this output I cannot work with it as a json

This isn’t a valid json either… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s hard to work with text from a screen shot, use the </> forum tool and paste in actual text. What does the original message look like? I don’t have enough information to make suggestions…

1 Like

You are right.
The original field contains the correct json text (before json exractor)

{"DeviceProperties":[{"Name":"OS","Value":"MacOs"},{"Name":"BrowserType","Value":"Chrome"},{"Name":"IsCompliantAndManaged","Value":"False"},{"Name":"SessionId","Value":"dc4fe5cd-6bbf-4968-946a-51b5e7c4f872"}]}

consider that between the Name and OS I have the correct colons separator key.

After JSon extractor I have the result that I attached in the previous message where
DeviceProperties is the key and the value is a string that I post before that seems a Map.toString output.
As you can see , the quotes are missing too. So I think that the jsonExctractor fails the json parse the the field is an object

Hmmm… I did a little searching - this post here goes into more depth about json… it may help to find what you need…

Thanks a lot for your help

If you find a solution in there - post it up for future searchers - otherwise continue to ask, we’ll figure it out together!

Try the flatten_json function with parameter array_handler = “flatten”
https://docs.graylog.org/docs/functions-1#flatten_json

Hi @tmacgbay
i solved creating my own function after remove double quote and using

let json_tree = parse_json(to_string($message."message_unquote"));
let jsonNode = to_map(json_tree);

my function is named list_fieldKVMap where

for example:

list_fieldKVMap(“DeviceProperties”, jsonNode[“DeviceProperties”], “Name”, “Value”);

So, inside I get the object list and extract the field/value attribute. I add a new field using the parameterKey as key prefix

Remembering the input data:

{“DeviceProperties”:[{“Name”:“OS”,“Value”:“MacOs”},{“Name”:“BrowserType”,“Value”:“Chrome”},{“Name”:“IsCompliantAndManaged”,“Value”:“False”},{“Name”:“SessionId”,“Value”:“dc4fe5cd-6bbf-4968-946a-51b5e7c4f872”}]}

the output is something like this:

With this approach I can reuse this function for other object list changing the attributes that I have to use for new field generation

Gianluca

2 Likes

Great! It would be interesting to have a write up on how to create your own function and put it in the “templates and rules exchange” section. :smiley:

I second that what @tmacgbay stated

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.