Install fails at install of Greylog

Installing from https://docs.graylog.org/en/3.3/pages/installation/os/ubuntu.html#ubuntuguide
Fresh Ubuntu 18.04 on exsi 6.5, static ip, can ping local dns server, google, aws

Prerequisites, MongoDB and Elastisearch install just fine.
When I go to install Greylog is when the problems start.
When I run the command below it times out.
$ sudo dpkg -i graylog-3.3-repository_latest.deb

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install graylog-server graylog-enterprise-plugins graylog-integrations-plugins graylog-enterprise-integrations-plugins

Any thoughts or ideas?

Hello @Slacker, welcome!

Are you receiving an error message with the first command? You say it times out – does it print anything on screen?

I finally got it working, kind of, by reinstalling Ubuntu 18.04 from an earlier version. My original install has some funky version of netplan but the reinstall used 50-cloud-init.yaml . Once that was reset the rest of the install went fine. I now have a running Graylog server but am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to do something as simple as get my Cisco logs in.
I have one Cisco switch with Graylog server ip:514 and another with ip:1514, logging trap informational (was using Kiwi and was working fine)
Added nat rules to iptables on Graylog to forward 514 udp to 1514
Added syslog-udp input for Graylog
Time matches on switches and server
Can ping switch to server and server to switch
Graylog system message shows "Input [Syslog UDP bla bla] is now Running
Input shows “1 Running”
Not receiving any messages

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.