Ubuntu Install Instructions not working

I attempted to install graylog on ubuntu and I keep getting issues with elasticsearch.

The error I get is as follows:

dpkg: error processing package elasticsearch (–install):
installed elasticsearch package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
elasticsearch

I am using “dpkg -i elasticsearch-7.10.2-amd64.deb” the apt commands mentioned in the install instruction for Ubuntu are also broken.

Anyone have fix? Should I try CentOS?

The first question is why are you installing elastic vs opensearch, what version of Graylog are you installing it alongside?

The instructions weren’t clear. I have reinstalled with Opensearch.

Now I can’t get in to Graylog after setting up the root password. I never see the actuall graylog login screen, what I see is:

I use the “admin” login and the root password I set in the config file and it is not accepted. Any ideas?

I found the issue:

graylogvm@graylogvm-HVM-domU:/var/log/graylog-server$ tail -f server.log

========================================================================================================

It seems you are starting Graylog for the first time. To set up a fresh install, a setup interface has
been started. You must log in to it to perform the initial configuration and continue.

Initial configuration is accessible at 192.168.2.94:9000, with username 'admin' and password 'FPVcIUaDsn'.

========================================================================================================

No where in the instructions does it tell you to look int he server.log for that information sheesh!!!

That is the preflight page, if your server.conf has the correct connection string and successfully connects to opensearch you won’t get that page. Now that you are into that page you can just setup the connection there I think and then it should go back to normal.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.