Graylog 4.0 RC1 will not start CentOS 7

Hello,

I am trying to setup Graylog 4.0 RC1 and it will simply not start I turned on debug logging and see a lot of message like the following for the plugins:

2020-11-11T07:24:51.225-05:00 DEBUG [Version] Git commit details are not available, skipping.
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at sun.misc.MetaIndex.mayContain(MetaIndex.java:242) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.getResource(URLClassPath.java:1044) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(URLClassPath.java:249) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(URLClassPath.java:302) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.getBootstrapResource(ClassLoader.java:1257) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResource(ClassLoader.java:1086) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResource(ClassLoader.java:1084) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResource(ClassLoader.java:1084) ~[?:1.8.0_262]
	at org.graylog2.plugin.Version.getResource(Version.java:247) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog2.plugin.Version.fromClasspathProperties(Version.java:228) [graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog2.plugin.Version.fromPluginProperties(Version.java:163) [graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog.plugins.quickvaluesplus.QuickValuesPlusWidgetMetaData.getVersion(QuickValuesPlusWidgetMetaData.java:39) [graylog-plugin-quickvaluesplus-widget-4.0.0-beta.1.jar:?]

It just keeps looping through trying to setup plugins looks like it never starts.

I have tried to drop my MongoDB database completely I am following the install documents I not sure what could be causing this issue. Any help would be appreciated on this issue.

Thanks,
Nick

I got further on this I decided to clear out the plugins in /usr/loca/graylog/plugins than uninstall and reinstall to ensure I had the latest JARs for the plugins. This got me further in the startup process.

Now I am having issues with ElasticSearch allowing external connection to it.

you are using at least ES 6.8 correct? 4.0 dropped support for all earlier versions.

I actually also installed ES 7 which is suppose to be supported. This is my DEV version.

are you also using at least MongoDB 4.0?

Yes I am using MongoDB 4.0 I got it working finally but it took me hours to get it working.

It appears that possibly when you apply a new version it does not update the plugins folder with updated JARs. I ended up removing all the JARs from this folder uninstalling and reinstalling.

Than I had other issues but those where firewall related with ElasticSearch being unable to talk to the GrayLog frontends.

It is now up and working at least.

he @limeman38

we had found yesterday some problems with the RPM packages updates. Those got corrected with the latest version and the final release will work flawless.

Well I not sure about flawless I am having LDAP issues now :frowning: