Gray log default username and password not working

(Nathjnair) #1

I am trying the new graylog 3 preview version https://packages.graylog2.org/releases/graylog-omnibus/ova/graylog-pre-3.0.0-10.rc.1.ova

I am able to boot the server and bring up the webgui, but not able to log in using default username and password (admin/admin). I tried to reset the password using the graylog-ctl commands but the command is not recognised by the system.

Can any please point me in the right direction to solve this issue.

(Jan Doberstein) #2

the password of your instance is displayed on the console after start!

The OVA has changed in 3.0 but we did not (yet) updated the docs.

(Nathjnair) #3

It was not displayed in my case, please see the attached pic, hut the doucmnet link was there, from there only I got the default password (ubuntu/ubuntu)

(Nathjnair) #4

The password ubuntu was for console right, but the strange thing is the script graylog-ctl is also not there.

(Dale Unwin) #5

I’m sure I read somewhere that the graylog-ctl was depreciated in version 3.0

(Nathjnair) #6

But the documentation link mentioned in the login screen says we need to change the password using graylog-ctl.

(Dale Unwin) #7

(Nathjnair) #8

Thanks for clarifying that,is there any other way to login to my system or change the default password. I can login using console, but not through webgui.

(Dale Unwin) #9

I think you set the password in /etc/graylog/server/server.conf. So if you run sudo nano /etc/graylog/server/server.conf and look for the root_username and root_password_sha2 entries.

You’ll need to first generate then password hash as detailed here: http://docs.graylog.org/en/3.0/pages/configuration/server.conf.html#general and then add the hash in at the root_password_sha2 entry.

You’ll probably need to restart the server for the changes to take effect.

(Nathjnair) #10

Thank you man, I reset the password using above method and it works.

(Tess) #11

But the documentation link mentioned in the login screen says we need to change the password using graylog-ctl.

Ahhh, that’s a fun point :slight_smile:

@Jan: 3.0 is still in beta/RC, but the docs link upon login (of the OVA) points users towards docs/latest. And to my knowledge, the “latest” always points to the latest stable release. Not to beta docs :slight_smile:

(Jan Doberstein) #12

@Totally_Not_A_Robot it does not matter where it points - we did not yet updated the OVA Docs.

and you see in the mentioned URL of @daleish that he points to the correct verison.

(system) closed #13

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.