Gray log default username and password not working

I am trying the new graylog 3 preview version https://packages.graylog2.org/releases/graylog-omnibus/ova/graylog-pre-3.0.0-10.rc.1.ova

I am able to boot the server and bring up the webgui, but not able to log in using default username and password (admin/admin). I tried to reset the password using the graylog-ctl commands but the command is not recognised by the system.

Can any please point me in the right direction to solve this issue.

the password of your instance is displayed on the console after start!

The OVA has changed in 3.0 but we did not (yet) updated the docs.

It was not displayed in my case, please see the attached pic, hut the doucmnet link was there, from there only I got the default password (ubuntu/ubuntu)

The password ubuntu was for console right, but the strange thing is the script graylog-ctl is also not there.

I’m sure I read somewhere that the graylog-ctl was depreciated in version 3.0

But the documentation link mentioned in the login screen says we need to change the password using graylog-ctl.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying that,is there any other way to login to my system or change the default password. I can login using console, but not through webgui.

I think you set the password in /etc/graylog/server/server.conf. So if you run sudo nano /etc/graylog/server/server.conf and look for the root_username and root_password_sha2 entries.

You’ll need to first generate then password hash as detailed here: http://docs.graylog.org/en/3.0/pages/configuration/server.conf.html#general and then add the hash in at the root_password_sha2 entry.

You’ll probably need to restart the server for the changes to take effect.

2 Likes

Thank you man, I reset the password using above method and it works.

1 Like

But the documentation link mentioned in the login screen says we need to change the password using graylog-ctl.

Ahhh, that’s a fun point :slight_smile:

@Jan: 3.0 is still in beta/RC, but the docs link upon login (of the OVA) points users towards docs/latest. And to my knowledge, the “latest” always points to the latest stable release. Not to beta docs :slight_smile:

@Totally_Not_A_Robot it does not matter where it points - we did not yet updated the OVA Docs.

and you see in the mentioned URL of @daleish that he points to the correct verison.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.