Too dumb to create pie chart

Hi,
I seem to be unable to understand some concept of pie charts in a dashboard widget.
I have a stream of messages, some of them have field A and some have field B (mutually exclusive, no message can have both fields). I now want to create a pie chart with the distribution of how many messages with field A compared to how many with field B. In essence the distribution of field A or B towards total count of messages.
I create an aggregate widget with metric 1 being “count field A” and another one (metric 2) with “count field 2”. Visualization is “pie chart”.
However, what I get is a widget with TWO pie charts, both being 100%.
What I want is ONE pie with i.e. 60% A and 40% B…
What am I doing wrong?
I am using Graylog 4.2.8 free edition, and I cannot find any trace of “quick value”…

Hello,

First of all, I like the title to this post. :laughing:

You looking for some like this?

Thanks, I openly admit when I am incapable. Saves lot of time…
Anyway. No, this is the result I get; I do want to have ONE Pie. The total pie represents the total number of messages, one part of that pie the number of messages with field A and the rest of that pie (obviously) the number of messages with field B.

@mosman

Understood, so something like this?

I would duplicate it for you but I dont think i have the same fields

Yes, quite so. Is the trick the two times grouping?
I tried it but there will not even be a pie displayed…
Group1 is “Field A”, limit 15
Group2 is “Field B”, limit 15
Metric is “count” with no field, no name
Vis is “Pie chart”

@mosman
Been playing around in the lab I came up with this.

Yes

Check the time frame your searching, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, etc… maybe increase it.

Nope, does not work here. Plenty of messages, I know that

Oh wait, I have netflow fields. Let me check real quick

Tnx. I want the percentage of IPv4 vs. IPv6…

Ok , one problem I don’t have Ipv_6 fields

here is my results for IPv_4

I actually did a global search for IPV6 and it came up empty.

EDIT; Sorry I upload the wrong pic, i just replaced it

Strange, does not work at all here. Your example does work, sort of. It shows me four portions of the pie. With different IP-Address groups.
To stay with that example; I’d like a pie that gives me the amount of ipv4_dst fields and the amount of ipv4_src fields. Yes, I know that that then must be a pie with 50/50 but that should illustrate the pie I want

@mosman
Ok this is my last one, I tried multiple ways of achieving this. Grafana is much easier

Last attempt

That the best I can do for ya

Bugger. Still an empty pie. I just checked that I have plenty of messages with either ipv4 or ipv6 fields…
If I do your example it still does not work as desired. It will give me the count of address pairs, i.e. 192.168.1.1-192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2-192.168.3.1 and the distribution in the packets.
But for ipv6_dst and ipv4_src plain nothing.

Il try more tomorrow, If I come up with something Ill post it for ya. Maybe someone else here has done it before.

Thank you anyway for that.

1 Like

Hello,

Did some labbing, but was unable to create a widget that you want for the two fields. Long, long time ago there used to be a setting called “Quick Values”
Sort what was talked about here…

Some one else was looking for the same thing here…

I believe they move most of what you are asking into a enterprise version with Illuminate plugin. BTW its no longer called Enterprise version it is now called Graylog Operations.

Only thing I can suggest at this point are:

1. Create two sparate Widegst , one for IPv4 and the other for IPv6
  2. if your under 2 Gb a day the license is free for the Enterprise/Graylog Operations. version.
  3. Last, Try working with Grafana it does have some nice dashboards for free but its a little more difficult.

Here is what I was referring to

Hello and thank you again. That confirms my “suspicion” a bit… Yes, I know of the thing “Quick Value” but they do not exist anymore, at least not that I see them. And yes, I did see the other posts and that did not help too…
Creating two widgets is not a solution since I cannot get the ratio between V4 and V6 this way. I already tried to set up an explicit field (is_ipv6) and the to count against that. However, I cannot get the full pie to represent the count of ALL messages and the pie content split between V4 and V6.
Looks like I have to change my topic title :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a separate field ip_type that contains either IP_4 or IP_6 Even your grandma can pie chart that! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, unfortunately I am no Grandma nor will I ever be one…
But yes, that did the trick. Thank you a lot; sometimes you need that peek in the ribs to really get it.
Cheers

1 Like

Good call @tmacgbay ,
I’ve been banging my head trying to figure this out. I created a pipeline which is kinda crude for testing.

rule " IP Type"
when
 has_field ("nf_ipv4_dst_addr")  && has_field ("nf_ipv4_src_addr")
then
  set_field ( "ip_type", "IPV4");
end

Seams to work.