The new marketplace...is not a marketplace

I’ll add to the overwhelmingly negative response to the new ‘marketplace’.
It’s not a marketplace anymore. Simple.
It was easy to use, now it’s a mess. Funny, considering Graylog tries to make data easy to search, easy to find.
You re-invented the wheel, and decided to make it a square. Quite the bumpy ride.
It’s never too late to admit you’re going in the wrong direction!
Good luck everyone.

1 Like

I have not been a fan of the old Marketplace and as such haven’t gone into the new marketplace much… Do you have some alternatives you can link to that have a more helpful format or maybe some ideas for formatting/keyword changes that would make it better?

1 Like

Hello @ttlankoo

Actually, the majority on users found marketplace difficult since most of the add-ons were not being updated nor maintained.

@dscryber describes it best here.

2 Likes

@ttlankoo Thanks for your input. We’re open to suggestions about improving the new marketplace. The goals of the new market were, at least, two-fold, 1.) remove old, deprecated apps while maintaining more current ones, and 2.) enable developers to highlight their updates to the community. Although the new marketplace has succeeded in reaching those goals, there are much more to do.

To help find apps in the new marketplace, each item has been tagged. This should help with searching. Please contact me if you’d like to chat about your wishes and ideas to improve this new, simple design. david.sciuto@graylog.com

Thanks!

Why remove deprecated content rather than labeling them as such and prioritizing new content?

I feel tags are the right way to go in terms of labeling content, however the forum approach is much worse than an actual marketplace.

A harder to navigate marketplace is definitely not going to increase adoption of it as well, especially when I didn’t hear a particular outcry of complaints on the previous marketplace. (I enjoyed the previous marketplace)

I really want graylog to succeed, so I’m invested in the usable marketplace movement.

4 Likes

Hey, @chrislogan2 ,

Thanks for your comments. If you’d like to make suggestions about how we can improve the new marketplace, please reach out to me at david.sciuto@graylog.com. We can either set up a call or communicate via email. I’m interested in hearing from community members on improvements we can make to the new setup.

Sounds like the only real improvement would be to roll-back to the previous iteration of the Marketplace which was actually usable and then adding on those features for cleaning up / denoting outdated add-ons and whatnot.

I would not agree - the old Marketplace has no room for revision by the author, you could only revise on the github side and any changes you made were NOT reflected back to the Marketplace. Once you post, that is it other than changing at Github … and it’s not clear that you only have one shot at it. So OLD Market place works best if you post very generically, which technically ruins the entire search system.

Going back would be a mistake IMHO.

2 Likes