Syslog ships to graylog but without source details

Hi,

I’m not sure how to get graylog to show the hostname or IP that sent in the syslog event to Graylog. The syslog input listens on 5444

In graylog I just see this:
There is no info on what sent in the log. Multiple servers shipping logs in are not determinable.

syslog has been configured like this:
*.* @graylogserver:5444

Am I missing a graylog config or is it something I need to add to the source?

you should configure your syslog to hold this data - without the knowledge what kind of syslog you have configured it is hard to guess.

But it might be that this will solve your issue:

*.* @graylogserver:5444;RSYSLOG_SyslogProtocol23Format
1 Like

Thanks for this suggestion. I’m using FreeBSD 11.2 “syslog” and adding that “RSYSLOG_SyslogProtocol23Format” stops events being shipped to graylog.

What I’m finding is that by adding*.* @server to syslog.conf the @server receiving the log should be displaying the source:
Aug 2 12:54:14 <user.notice> test.home iceflatline: This a test message from client
but I don’t see test.home in Graylog.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve replaced syslog on FreeBSD with rsyslog and now the source is shipped and displayed in Graylog.

Using the following I can ship non-syslog files to graylog too:
$ModLoad imfile
$WorkDirectory /var/spool/rsyslog

$InputFileName /var/logs/CustomWeb/*.log
$InputFileName /var/logs/CustomWeb/*_log
$InputFileTag CustomWeb
$InputFileStateFile CustomWeb-file1
$InputFileSeverity info
$InputFileFacility local7
$InputRunFileMonitor
$InputFilePersistStateInterval 1000

if $programname == 'CustomWeb' then @10.2.37.241:5444;RSYSLOG_SyslogProtocol23Format

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.