Sidecar upgrades and default configs

We have Sidecar 1.0.0 installed on ~100 workstations and are looking for an easy method of upgrading to 1.0.1. (Currently we are using SCCM to push the new client, but it doesn’t appear to work 100% of the time). How are others handling this? I would hate to have to uninstall and then re-assign all of them to new configs due to changing Collector_ID. I should mention we also have this issue on servers - as I do not have admin to log in and upgrade after the initial install. Being able to push the updated executable/installer from the console would be a welcome addition.
Related note - is there a way to default a config based on the system name? We are considering a minimal push to non-persistent VDI sessions, but I am not sure how we would handle the auto-creation of new collector_ids from the pool. (Other than a long expire after manually assigning them)
Thanks!

I would need more information about the specific error.

The collector id should not change, because it’s initially created and then persisted by default:

#Default: "file:/etc/graylog/sidecar/node-id"

Did you change that config option? Or do you delete that file at uninstall?

Hey Marco,
The install is to Windows 7 and Windows 10 clients. Everything with the 1.0.1 install appears to work, but the executable isn’t being upgraded.
Here’s the related excerpt from the full script-

$SvcStop = “”“C:\Program Files\graylog\sidecar\graylog-sidecar.exe”" -service stop"
$SvcInstall = “”“C:\Program Files\graylog\sidecar\graylog-sidecar.exe”" -service install"
$SvcStart = “”“C:\Program Files\graylog\sidecar\graylog-sidecar.exe”" -service start"
Invoke-Expression “& $SvcStop”
Sleep 10
cmd /c “GraylogSidecarInstaller.exe /S -SERVERURL=http://x.x.x.x:9000/api -APITOKEN=xxxxxx -NODENAME=$ENDPOINT -Wait”
Invoke-Expression “& $SvcInstall”
Invoke-Expression “& $SvcStart”

Of the initial 56 to be upgraded, 27 did not (executable didn’t change). If we uninstall and reinstall, the node-id changes due to the file location being deleted (C:\Program Files\Graylog\sidecar\node-id)
SCCM shows everything installed properly and is not logging any errors. (We had to use the date off the uninstaller for identification, as the sidecar exe doesn’t have description, name, version, etc…)
We thought maybe the running sidecar (in this case 1.0.0) wasn’t getting stopped in time, so we added the sleep. This got us down to 4 that still will not take the new version, so maybe we’re on to something? I thought I’d bounce it off the community in case someone else has run into this.
Our next step includes another ~7400 clients, so we wanted to be sure we had the upgrade process nailed down.
Appreciate your input!
-Jim

You could try being more specific about making sure the service has stopped… mod below to suit your needs…

$ServiceName = 'graylog-sidecar'
$arrService = Get-Service -Name $ServiceName

while ($arrService.Status -ne 'Stopped')
{

Stop-Service $ServiceName
    write-host $arrService.status
    write-host 'Service should be stopping'
    Start-Sleep -seconds 10
    $arrService.Refresh()
    if ($arrService.Status -eq 'Stopped')
    {
        Write-Host '$ServiceName has been stopped '
    } else
        Write-Host 'Well... Crap.'
    }

}

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey @jforster,
sorry for the delay, we’re currently quite busy with other things :-/
I’ve created an issue https://github.com/Graylog2/collector-sidecar/issues/365
and hope to get back to this when there is time.

Marco

1 Like