Setup fixed ip for appliance on 3.3

Hello.

I just installed Graylog 3.3.2 as ova appliance. and got the message at first start:

Your appliance came up without a configured IP address. Graylog is probably not running correctly!

the 3.3 documentation, topic Virtual Machine Appliances, says:

In this case, you have to login and edit configuration files under `/etc/netplan/` in order to setup a fixed IP address. Then create the file `/var/lib/graylog-server/firstboot` and reboot.

but when I search the docs I can find no other mention of netplan, and how to set it.

Can you please advise on how to set a Static IP?

best regards
Altin
In the previous version, there was a sub-topic somehow named “Set a static Ip” under the CTL script - which I saw was deprecated

1. Login to graylog console using default username and pasword: ubuntu
  2. Find your interface NIC name using command: ip a
  3. Edit file /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml
    sudo vi /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml
  4. Edit file content (use same indentation), and replace enp0s3 with your real NIC name from point 2.
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
    enp0s3:
      addresses:
        - 192.168.40.62/24
      gateway4: 192.168.40.1
      nameservers:
        addresses: [192.168.40.1]
  1. Apply netplan static ip configuration using command
    sudo netplan apply
  2. Graylog show default web interface password for admin user only first time on console (it’s generated). So if you restart your VM second time, you can’t see it. If so you have 2 options:
  • Either generate your own password and setup it to parameter root_password_sha2
    sudo vim /etc/graylog/server/server.conf
    https://docs.graylog.org/en/3.3/pages/configuration/server.conf.html#general
  • Or remove generated password on parameter root_password_sha2 so line like will look like this: root_password_sha2 = . After that create file /var/lib/graylog-server using command: sudo touch /var/lib/graylog-server/firstboot and reboot. After reboot you should see new password on console before login.

sudo vim /etc/graylog/server/server.conf
sudo touch /var/lib/graylog-server/firstboot
sudo reboot

1 Like

Thank you @shoothub for the detailed answer.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.