Modifying the native frontend through plugins

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to lightly modify the native graylog interface with a plugin ?

The purpose would be to add a custom button next the native buttons.

“Permalink”, “Copy ID”, “show surrounding messages”, “test against streams”.

I did not find anything about native frontend modification through plugins in the documentaion.

Hey @weird-oecophylla

Actually someone asked a similar qusestion on Discord.

And I quote:

If you are wanting to edit them, the only way I know of is to fork the open source project, make your edits, and then compile and install your forked version. But you are then stuck at that version. What are you hoping to accomplish, maybe there is another way to do it.

EDIT: If you decide to go that route this may help.

Hey @gsmith,

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I saw this topic Best Practice for Modifying 'Alerts' tab in the Graylog Frontend/Dashboard.

As far as I understand, it would be possible to rewrite the graylog native interface through rewriting classes in the plugin.

For exemple, buttons like “Copy ID” are defined in the class MessageDetail.

(MessageDetail.jsx & MessageActions.tsx are the only two files concerned)

Do you think it would be possible to redefine the MessageDetail class in the plugin in order to apply changes without recompiling graylog2-server ?

I’ll give it a try as soon as I can …

EDIT: well in fact I guess recompiling graylog itself is mandatory :frowning:

1 Like

Hey,

Thats a lot of work and your going beyond my knowledgebase on modifing Graylog Frontend. I ended up using Grafana. This is used for metrics and Logging ( i.e., Log indexed from Opensearch) for my convenience.

You get it to work fill us in :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.