Installation mongo db 5 in debian 11 bullseye... Imposible

Before you post: Your responses to these questions will help the community help you. Please complete this template if you’re asking a support question.
Don’t forget to select tags to help index your topic!

1. Describe your incident:
I am trying to install GRAYLOG in debian 11 bullseye anda when I try to install mongodb in the pas to put systemctl status mongod, the output is this, we can see “Active failed”, and doesn´t work…

root@santifernvm01:/etc/apt# systemctl status mongod
● mongod.service - MongoDB Database Server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mongod.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: signal) since Mon 2022-12-19 14:21:46 CET; 29min ago
       Docs: https://docs.mongodb.org/manual
    Process: 3208 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mongod --config /etc/mongod.conf (code=killed, signal=ILL)
   Main PID: 3208 (code=killed, signal=ILL)
        CPU: 7ms

Dec 19 14:21:46 santifernvm01 systemd[1]: Started MongoDB Database Server.
Dec 19 14:21:46 santifernvm01 systemd[1]: mongod.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=4/ILL
Dec 19 14:21:46 santifernvm01 systemd[1]: mongod.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
root@santifernvm01:/etc/apt#

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information: debian 11 bullseye, virtualbox 7.0.4
    2 CPU 4gb ram 25gb hard disk

• Package Version: 5.0

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:
    Yes but i cant put thisone here… Sorry

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
unistall, and install, take down the demos, and up it again…

4. How can the community help?
until now nothing at all

I hope you can help me so please… Thanlks a lot, best regards, What am i doing wrong?

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

I would try to install it via the “official” way:
(https://www.mongodb.com/docs/v5.0/tutorial/install-mongodb-on-debian/)

The Graylog guide might have a typo or something like that.

Graylog will update the documentation.
It had some wrong commands in it. One line is 5.x but it should be 5.0. (echo “deb [ arch=amd64 ] MongoDB Repositories bionic/mongodb-org/5.0 multiverse” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-5.x.list)

The key is for version 4.
This key might work.
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv f5679a222c647c87527c2f8cb00a0bd1e2c63c11 (edited)

Does the CPU/hypervisor support AVX instructions?

MongoDB 5 requires it. I guess it´s possible to compile it without them, I must check because one of the servers on which I intend to run it has an old CPU.

Looking at the SConstruct file, it would be a simple matter of removing an option and building.
Commenting out line 302 should be enough (see below, 'sandybridge',)

experimental_optimizations = [
    'O3',
    'builtin-memcmp',
    'fnsi',
    'nofp',
    'nordyn',
    'sandybridge',
    'tbaa',
    'treevec',
    'vishidden',
]

Thanks a lot borjam, if i can it will be tested by myself.

Repeat, thanks a lot.

I need to compile 5 on FreeBSD for a non compliant CPU, will let you know.

that would be perfect.

thanks a lot again.

best regards.

OK it’s simple.

You need to compile it yourself. Follow the developers instructions to build it, but add this option when invoking scons: --experimental-optimization="-sandybridge"

That will remove the Sandybridge requirement from the compilation options. Once you do that, you shouldn’t see any -march=sandybridge compile time option when invoking the compiler.

Good luck! :wink:

For the record, fixing the build for the FreeBSD ports.

5.0 is already patched (waiting for a committer to approve it and commit) and I am testing the same fix for 6.

1 Like

On the MongoDB forums a developer also recommends to replace -march=sandybridge with -march=nehalem supporting older CPUs but that requires patching the SCons file.

2 Likes

Good morning Borjam
Well I have working graylog 4.3 with elasticsearch 7.9.3 and mongodb 4.4 and now I am trying to put graylog-sidecar with file beat and all works good but I tried to put to work graylog-sidecar with NXLOG and doen´t go good so, can you help with the configuration of NXLOG in debian to send logs to graylog server in a debian 11 machine?
The graylog manual is confuse.
Thanks a lot, really means a lot to me.
Best regards.

Never used any of them (I mean Nxlog, sidecar or filebeat).

Sorry.

OK no problem.
Thanks a lot.
Filebeat goes perfect if you need something, no doubt to call me…

Best regards.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.