How to move graylog_journal to new location? (Docker environment)

1. Describe your incident:
Dear community,

I am playing around with a graylog container. In my first steps, Graylog was running okay, but I got the paths in my compose.yaml wrong.

I stoped all containers and then copied the files from the source location to then new target location.

sudo cp -arT /var/lib/docker/volumes/graylog_es_data /home/uadmin/Docker/Graylog/es_data
sudo cp -arT /var/lib/docker/volumes/graylog_graylog_journal /home/uadmin/Docker/Graylog/graylog_journal
sudo cp -arT /var/lib/docker/volumes/graylog_mongo_data /home/uadmin/Docker/Graylog/mongo_data

All data has been successfully copied.

Then, I changed my compose.yaml to this:

volumes:
     -  /home/uadmin/Docker/Graylog/graylog_journal:/usr/share/graylog/data/journal

When I now start Graylog with the compose.yaml, it is not booting.

The logs for the graylog-container show something about “log manager” and “kafka”. The log has 17’000+ lines, but I thing it is allways the same error. (see bellow).

Warning can not change owner to graylog:graylog
WARNING: sun.reflect.Reflection.getCallerClass is not supported. This will impact performance.
2022-12-30 23:33:26,331 ERROR: org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.LogManager - There was an error in one of the threads during logs loading: org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.common.KafkaException: Found directory /usr/share/graylog/data/journal/_data, '_data' is not in the form of topic-partition
If a directory does not contain Kafka topic data it should not exist in Kafka's log directory
2022-12-30 23:33:26,332 ERROR: org.graylog2.shared.journal.LocalKafkaJournal - Unable to start logmanager.
org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.common.KafkaException: Found directory /usr/share/graylog/data/journal/_data, '_data' is not in the form of topic-partition
If a directory does not contain Kafka topic data it should not exist in Kafka's log directory
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.Log$.throwException(Log.scala:948) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.Log$.parseTopicPartitionName(Log.scala:936) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.LogManager$$anonfun$loadLogs$2$$anonfun$3$$anonfun$apply$10$$anonfun$apply$1.apply$mcV$sp(LogManager.scala:146) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.utils.CoreUtils$$anon$1.run(CoreUtils.scala:60) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
2022-12-30 23:33:26,362 INFO : org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.LogManager - Loading logs.
2022-12-30 23:33:26,363 ERROR: org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.LogManager - There was an error in one of the threads during logs loading: org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.common.KafkaException: Found directory /usr/share/graylog/data/journal/_data, '_data' is not in the form of topic-partition
2022-12-30 23:33:26,363 ERROR: org.graylog2.shared.journal.LocalKafkaJournal - Unable to start logmanager.
org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.common.KafkaException: Found directory /usr/share/graylog/data/journal/_data, '_data' is not in the form of topic-partition
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.Log$.throwException(Log.scala:948) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.Log$.parseTopicPartitionName(Log.scala:936) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.LogManager$$anonfun$loadLogs$2$$anonfun$3$$anonfun$apply$10$$anonfun$apply$1.apply$mcV$sp(LogManager.scala:146) ~[graylog.jar:?]
	at org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.utils.CoreUtils$$anon$1.run(CoreUtils.scala:60) ~[graylog.jar:?]
2022-12-30 23:33:26,367 ERROR: org.graylog2.shared.journal.LocalKafkaJournal - Unable to start logmanager.
org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.common.KafkaException: Failed to acquire lock on file .lock in /usr/share/graylog/data/journal. A Kafka instance in another process or thread is using this directory.

2. Describe your environment:

• Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
  • Docker Engine 20.10.22

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?

• There is a .lock-file, which I deleted - to no effekt.
  • I tried to provide access rights to all users on the directory “sudo chmod a+rwx /home/uadmin/Docker/Graylog/graylog_journal”

4. How can the community help?
Two questions:

• How do I solve this?
  • Is there an official pest practice on how to backup and restore this? I was assuming, I could make a backup of those folders and the compose.yaml and I could then easyly restore everthing.

This discussion implies that you cannot rename the folder?

I did rename the folder, which persists data of graylog…

Well, renaming the folder back did not help. I get the feeling, this might have something todo wich access reights. I read a lot about graylog user 1100. This user does not exist in my host. Do I have to create it manually and provide access to the specific folders? What ID, Name and Group(s) do I have to set up? How do I do that on a Ubuntu Terminal?

I created a user graylog with id 1100 and I used the following comand on the directory.

chown -R 1100:1100 ./graylog_journal

(Source: ERROR: Unable to access file /usr/share/graylog/data/journal/graylog2-committed-read-offset: Permission denied · Issue #2155 · Graylog2/graylog2-server · GitHub)

Graylog still not starting, but the logfile only contains 3500+ lines - a missive impruvement. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
This error message repeats over and over again:

2022-12-31 22:07:00,271 ERROR: org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.log.LogManager - There was an error in one of the threads during logs loading: org.graylog.shaded.kafka09.common.KafkaException: Found directory /usr/share/graylog/data/journal/_data, '_data' is not in the form of topic-partition
2022-12-31 22:07:00,271 ERROR: org.graylog2.shared.journal.LocalKafkaJournal - Unable to start logmanager.

I figured this out myself:

the original path, which was created Docker, was this:

/var/lib/docker/volumes/graylog_es_data/_data
/var/lib/docker/volumes/graylog_graylog_journal/_data
/var/lib/docker/volumes/graylog_mongo_data/_data

Because I copied the “_data”-folder, there were the above error messages. After removing the “_data”-folders and putting everything into the correct paths, Graylog is running as it should be.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.