Exporting Graylog's Configuration for later use

(Ayoola Ayooluwa) #1

Hi all,

Please i want to export my current version of Graylog’s configuration.(setup, rules, pipelines, filters, alerts and notification); create a new environment workspace, install maybe the latest version of Graylog and import the configuration i exported.

Please, is it possible? If yes, how do i go about it?

(Jochen) #2

You’d have to export the MongoDB database of Graylog for that and import it into the MongoDB database of your new Graylog cluster.

(Ayoola Ayooluwa) #3

Thanks @jochen; i ran the following command and it worked pretty fine.

mongodump --db graylog --out /home/graylog_backup

But i noticed that when i exported and copied it out, it wasn’t more than 25.8Mb.

Question:
Hope am fine with that size or is it meant to be more than that?

Secondly, help confirm if the following steps are perfect by the time i want to import it in my new graylog environment:

1. Download the latest graylog version and install.
  2. when it’s all up and running, i would delete the default graylog db and replace it with the one i exported.

(Jochen) #4

Since it’s mostly just configuration data, what size would you have expected?

Sure, that could work. Just make sure to use the same node ID (node_id_file in the configuration file) or you’ll have to modify the inputs definitions in the MongoDB database accordingly.

(Ayoola Ayooluwa) #5

That’s pretty cool then. And that would fetch me all the rules, alerts, notifications, from the previous one and create all under this new Graylog i would download so i wont have to configure them from scratch?

You said: that could work; do you have a better option or any idea?

(Jochen) #6

I’m not psychic and cannot see into the future. I also don’t know what you’re going to do, so I don’t know if it will work.

This being said, if done right, it will work.

(Ayoola Ayooluwa) #7

okay @jochen,

thanks

(system) #9

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.