ERROR [ServerBootstrap] Exception while running migrations java.lang.IllegalStateException: Couldn't retrieve rotation strategy provider for <org.graylog2.indexer.rotation.strategies.MessageCountRotationStrategy>

Before you post: Your responses to these questions will help the community help you. Please complete this template if you’re asking a support question.
Don’t forget to select tags to help index your topic!

1. Describe your incident:
Fresh install and I am getting

ERROR [ServerBootstrap] Exception while running migrations
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Couldn't retrieve rotation strategy provider for <org.graylog2.indexer.rotation.strategies.MessageCountRotationStrategy>

in the logs and Graylog does not seem to be starting up. In fact it goes in to a restart loop.

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information: Ubuntu 20.04

• Package Version: 5.0

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
Checked my settings in server.conf. It seems like the error is referencing something that should be default and I will set up in the system once I can log in.

4. How can the community help?

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

Hello @workinonit

Can you show this loop?

If this is a fresh install what are your configurations made? This would help if you could show those.

How about the other services i.e., MongoDb & Opensearch? did you check those logs? if so what do they look like.

Just so happens I just got done install Graylog 5.0 on Ubuntu 22.04, MongoDb 4.4 with Opensearch 2.5. So far so good.

EDIT:

I did find the definition on this error here

I’m just taking a guess, Permission issue or configuration issue.

Looks like your graylog.conf is missing a setting for rotation_strategy.
You need to have this when you startup for the first time (it’s not used anymore later on).

If it helps I can post my sanitized server.conf. I checked and I have rotation_strategy = time set in my server.conf file. Opensearch and MongoDB appear to be working. I can also post my log output where that error occurs repeatedly.

Looks like you may have ended in an inconsistent state: the exception you posted earlier refers to MessageCountRotationStrategy, but your config file specifies time.

You could try dropping your mongoDB and restarting GL, so it can be rebuilt from scratch.

1 Like

Sounds good. I will have to figure out how to do that first :slight_smile:

Dropping the DB and starting it up seems to have initialized things properly. Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.