Could not Execute Search Index Missing

Hi, so my Ubuntu VM had 100% disk usage which caused Elastic Search to stop working, so I deleted a load of old indices and then started Graylog and Elastic Search. Once the Graylog web UI was back up I proceeded to recalculate the index ranges and now I can’t search. Please see below for the error I am getting (The top error is from the Web UI itself and the bottom error is from my Graylog log files).

Could not execute search
There was an error executing your search. Please check your Graylog server logs for more information.
    Error Message:
    Unable to perform search query. Index not found for query: graylog_25. Try recalculating your index ranges.
    Details:
    Index not found for query: graylog_25. Try recalculating your index ranges.
    Search status code:
    Search response:
    cannot GET http://x.x.x.x:9000/api/search/universal/relative?query=%2A&range=300&limit=150&sort=timestamp%3Adesc (500)

Index not found for query: graylog_25. Try recalculating your index ranges. (IndexNotFoundException)
2017-08-30T11:12:08.741+01:00 ERROR [AlertScanner] Skipping alert check <facility/42d3c2ff-0941-4e30-a775-d11a4d67238c>: Unable to perform search query.

Index not found for query: graylog_25. Try recalculating your index ranges. (IndexNotFoundException)

Cheers,
G

First of all, you shouldn’t just delete indices. Make sure to monitor the disk usage of your Elasticsearch and Graylog VMs properly.

Try rotating the active write index of your index sets (System/Indices/Index Set/Maintenance).

I had to delete them, the disk usage hit 100% and Graylog wouldn’t start. I have now changed the retention strategy to stop this from repeating. I also rotated the active write index and that didn’t resolve the issue, I’m not sure what else to do?

Cheers,
G

Drop or purge the index_ranges collection in MongoDB and recalculate the index ranges via the Graylog web interface.

1 Like

I’ll sort this out in the morning then, thanks. Also what is the best practice when a VM’s memory fills up and space needs to be created? Previously I have just stopped all the services and deleted the oldest indices.

Cheers,

G

Just configure a sensible rotation and retention strategy in Graylog (System / Indices / Index Set) to automatically delete old indices.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.