Can you turn a single Graylog server into a cluster without reinstalling the original config?

1. Describe your incident:
No incident, planning stage

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information:
    Rocky 8, theyre all VMs.

• Package Version:
    latest and greatest

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:
    Right now we have a single graylog instance, mongo and elastic are on there with web UI too.

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
Reading on here and other blogs how to do clustering

4. How can the community help?
Its a long path to clustering. i know I want to use this model:

Front: 1 host - Graylog webUI + Load balancing
Backside: 3 hosts - Graylog server, mongo repl, elastic node

Before I go down a stupid path, can you tell me , can I convert my single server into a cluster this way ^^?
I understand that I can create the mongo replicas easy enough from the single instance but not sure about the rest.

Or am I better off starting from scratch? I’d rather not start from scratch of course.

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

Hey @log

Yeah, there are some configruation that are needed, I would advice to make a plan first and/or change control before starting. This will prevent mistakes. Make backups/Checkpoints before starting.

Check list:

Ensure you have all version the same, this will limit issues later,
What I have done was configure all the settings on one Graylog server configuration file and copy it to the other nodes, you may or may not need to make adjustments later. Things happen no matter how cautious you are.

Read back over Graylog Doc’s && were here to help.

2 Likes

Thankyou gsmith. I just wanted to give feed back that this page:

graylog org/post/back-to-basics-from-single-server-to-graylog-cluster/

Has 2 broken links so far:
http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.1/pages/configuration/elasticsearch.html#heap%20size
http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.1/pages/faq.html#raise-the-java-heap

This is probably the wrong place so in the future can I give documentation feedback somewhere else?

Hey @log

You can post it here maybe the Doc dudes will see it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.