Upgrading from Docker image 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 crash

Before you post: Your responses to these questions will help the community help you. Please complete this template if you’re asking a support question.
Don’t forget to select tags to help index your topic!

1. Describe your incident:
I’m trying to upgrade my graylog from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. I use the docker image and running it via a docker-compose file. The only thing I have change is the tag in the docker-compose file for the graylog version.
After restarting the container it crash, with the following loglines:
graylog_1 | 2021-12-13 09:41:27,631 INFO : org.graylog2.bootstrap.CmdLineTool - Running with JVM arguments: -Djdk.tls.acknowledgeCloseNotify=true -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:NewRatio=1 -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m -XX:+ResizeTLAB -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -Xms3500m -Xmx3500m -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/usr/share/graylog/data/config/certs/truststore.jks -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=jm6E4Lhe1071Tdol -Dlog4j.configurationFile=/usr/share/graylog/data/config/log4j2.xml -Djava.library.path=/usr/share/graylog/lib/sigar/ -Dgraylog2.installation_source=docker
graylog_1 | 2021-12-13 09:41:27,721 INFO : org.hibernate.validator.internal.util.Version - HV000001: Hibernate Validator null
graylog_1 | Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/graylog/security/shares/EntityShareResponse$AvailableGrantee
graylog_1 | at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
graylog_1 | at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2701)
graylog_1 | at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1975)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.DeclaredMembers.getDeclaredMethods(DeclaredMembers.java:48)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.spi.InjectionPoint.getDeclaredMethods(InjectionPoint.java:804)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.spi.InjectionPoint.getInjectionPoints(InjectionPoint.java:723)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.spi.InjectionPoint.forInstanceMethodsAndFields(InjectionPoint.java:423)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorBindingImpl.getInternalDependencies(ConstructorBindingImpl.java:173)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.getInternalDependencies(InjectorImpl.java:671)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.cleanup(InjectorImpl.java:628)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.initializeJitBinding(InjectorImpl.java:614)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.createJustInTimeBinding(InjectorImpl.java:943)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.createJustInTimeBindingRecursive(InjectorImpl.java:863)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.getJustInTimeBinding(InjectorImpl.java:301)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.getBindingOrThrow(InjectorImpl.java:224)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.getInternalFactory(InjectorImpl.java:949)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.FactoryProxy.notify(FactoryProxy.java:48)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.ProcessedBindingData.runCreationListeners(ProcessedBindingData.java:60)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InternalInjectorCreator.initializeStatically(InternalInjectorCreator.java:137)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.internal.InternalInjectorCreator.build(InternalInjectorCreator.java:110)
graylog_1 | at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:87)
graylog_1 | at org.graylog2.shared.bindings.GuiceInjectorHolder.createInjector(GuiceInjectorHolder.java:34)
graylog_1 | at org.graylog2.bootstrap.CmdLineTool.setupInjector(CmdLineTool.java:473)
graylog_1 | at org.graylog2.bootstrap.CmdLineTool.run(CmdLineTool.java:278)
graylog_1 | at org.graylog2.bootstrap.Main.main(Main.java:45)
graylog_1 | Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.graylog.security.shares.EntityShareResponse$AvailableGrantee
graylog_1 | at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:387)
graylog_1 | at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:418)
graylog_1 | at java.net.FactoryURLClassLoader.loadClass(URLClassLoader.java:822)
graylog_1 | at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:351)
graylog_1 | … 25 more

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information:
    Ubuntu 20.04 server with docker

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:
    No changes from a working v. 4.2.1 to the 4.2.2

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
Switching back to 4.2.1, and searching the internet. Found no answers

4. How can the community help?
Hopefully some one can explain if some new parameters have been added which I need to apply to my docker-compose file

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

Upgrading the plugins to 4.2.3 helped.
The next problem is that the Download & Install Graylog pages referes to version 3.3.15 files. But I found another page where I could download the 4.2.3 files.

Hello,

I check out the link you provided. Maybe I’m blind but I don’t see version 3.3.15 on this page.

This is from the link above.

I’m assuming you resolved this issue by upgrade you Docker container?

Nope, the page says GRAYLOG V4.2.3, BUT…
At the time I went to the page, if you mouse over the downlink buttons for the plugins, the file was for version 3.3.15. It has nw been updated so the link is now pointing to the new files

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.