[UpdateRegistration] Failed to report collector status to server: <nil>

Hi,

(this topic was started on google groups, but it says on google that the forum will be set to read only today)…

I’ve installed the graylog server version 2.2.0-11 on one server and the collector-sidecar v0.0.9-1 on another.
I have succesfully send log events to the graylog server and am able to see them.

I was now finetuning the client and I noticed that the client is telling me that it is unable to report its status to the server, eg;

ERRO[0010] [UpdateRegistration] Failed to report collector status to server: <nil>

When running manually from the commandline:

INFO[0000] Using collector-id: 8e3deae7-4312-498e-aa42-0d5d2dd521e9
INFO[0000] Fetching configurations tagged by: [linux apache]
INFO[0000] Starting collector supervisor
INFO[0000] [filebeat] Starting
INFO[0010] [filebeat] Configuration change detected, rewriting configuration file.
ERRO[0010] [UpdateRegistration] Failed to report collector status to server: <nil>
INFO[0010] [filebeat] Stopping
INFO[0014] [filebeat] Starting
ERRO[0020] [UpdateRegistration] Failed to report collector status to server: <nil>
^CINFO[0029] [filebeat] Stopping
ERRO[0030] [UpdateRegistration] Failed to report collector status to server: <nil>

I noticed in other topics that this would be the server_url variable. But when I change this to an incorrect value I get a 404 response…e.g.

ERRO[0010] [RequestConfiguration] Bad response status from Graylog server: 404 Not Found

The URL i’ve configured is;

server_url: http://my.fqdn.hostname/api/

I’ve used tcpdump to see what is going on, and I can see it is posting (HTTP PUT) data;

PUT /api/plugins/org.graylog.plugins.collector/collectors/8e3deae7-4312-498e-aa42-0d5d2dd521e9 HTTP/1.1
Host: my.fqdn.hostname
User-Agent: Graylog Collector v0.0.9
Content-Length: 312
Accept: application/json
Content-Type: application/json
X-Graylog-Collector-Version: 0.0.9

{"node_id":"graylog-collector-sidecar","node_details":{"operating_system":"Linux","tags":["linux","apache"],"ip":"My.Ip.Add.ress","metrics":{"disks_75":[],"cpu_idle":97.61999999999999,"load_1":0.07},"status":{"backends":{"filebeat":{"status":0,"message":"Running"}},"status":0,"message":"1 collectors running"}}}

I’m also receiving a response;

HTTP/1.1 202 Accepted
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:54:00 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Graylog-Node-ID: 178b5821-23e3-493c-9c21-13d6414d4193
X-Runtime-Microseconds: 7341
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 105

{"configuration":{"update_interval":30,"send_status":true},"configuration_override":false,"actions"

I’m using Debian Jessie on both servers… Anyone got an idea why I’m receiving these messages and what I can to fix that?

(ps. the graylog server is running behind a reverse proxy, but even when accessing it directly I get this message…)

Cheers,
NeefRoel

I’m getting the same messages on all our client-side sidecar collector. Any resolution on this? Our graylog server is Graylog v2.2.1 , same sidecar collector version as OP.

The ERROR message will get logged with FQDN or IP on the server_url variable.

Please check if upgrading to collector-sidecar 0.1.0-rc.1 fixes the problem for you.

It looks like this is working for me.
I’m still receiving the log entries on the graylog server, which is good, and I’m no longer receiving the error about not reporting the collector status…

thanks

Updated client side, restarted it , and the error hasn’t appeared. Looks good! Thanks @jochen .:muscle: