Updaing graylog from 4.2 to 5.1

Hey Guys.
We are in the process to upgrade our graylog server to a new physical machine (from v 4.2. to 5.1). I was wondering if there was an easy way to export the graylog configuration into the new server. Our configuration is as such:

Graylog 4.2.4
Elasticsearch 7.10.2
Mongodb: v4.0.16

Thanks

This doc should have the info you are looking for: Backup

Let us know if that doesn’t answer your question or if you have any additional questions.

@badaboom, in order to bring your MongoDB into the new system, you may need to upgrade Mongo, since 5.1 does not support Mongo 4.x. You can try it first in the new Mongo instance, using mongorestore. It might work but I haven’t tried it. If it doesn’t work, reinstall Mongo as 4.0.16, restore the database and then upgrade MongoDB in place to a supported version. That will upgrade your database as well and you should be good to go.

You can import and export your graylog database into MongoDB!

Thank you all, I successfully upgraded Graylog to 5.1.4 and Mongodb to 6.0.9.
All working fine

Thanks a lot
Badaboom

3 Likes

Hi, did you do an in place upgrade? I’m wanting to do an upgrade from graylog 4.3.15 to version 5.X but keep elasticsearch for now as I’m just not in a position yet to build a new environment and migrate over.

@David_W,

Please start a new thread, so your question gets the attention it deserves.

Hi No! I did a dev machine first since I was planing to install fresh into a new server.
Also, I had to update mongodb from 4.0.x to 6.0.x and there was to many steps to follow to get there.
Hope it helps