Unable to log into web UI (Error 500)

1. Describe your incident:
A few days ago, we had to rebuild our MongoDB replica set. Since then we are no longer able to log into Graylog web interface, neither with ‘admin’ account, nor with personal accounts.

When attempting to log in, an error is displayed:
“Error - the server returned: 500 - There was an error fetching a resource: Internal Server Error. Additional information: Couldn’t load session”

No changes to graylog configuration were made. Until changes were made to the replica set, graylog login worked.

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information:
# grep ^VERSION= /etc/os-release
VERSION="20.04.5 LTS (Focal Fossa)"
  • Package Version:
# apt list --installed | grep -E 'graylog|elasticsearch'

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

elasticsearch-oss/stable,now 7.10.2 amd64 [installed]
graylog-4.2-repository/stable,now 1-4 all [installed]
graylog-server/stable,now 4.2.13-1 all [installed]

MongoDB is 4.4.13 (we use the MongoDB Cloud Manager to install and maintain the replica set).
From mongod host1:

$> mongod --version
db version v4.4.13
Build Info: {
    "version": "4.4.13",
    "gitVersion": "df25c71b8674a78e17468f48bcda5285decb9246",
    "openSSLVersion": "OpenSSL 1.1.1  11 Sep 2018",
    "modules": [],
    "allocator": "tcmalloc",
    "environment": {
        "distmod": "ubuntu1804",
        "distarch": "x86_64",
        "target_arch": "x86_64"
    }
}
  • Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:
  • /etc/graylog/server/server.conf
# grep ^http /etc/graylog/server/server.conf
http_bind_address = 0.0.0.0:9000
# grep ^mongodb_uri /etc/graylog/server/server.conf
mongodb_uri = mongodb://host1:27017,host2:27017,host3:27017/graylog?replicaSet=replSet01
  • /var/log/graylog-server/server.log:
2022-11-29T11:02:44.704Z ERROR [AnyExceptionClassMapper] Unhandled exception in REST resource
java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't load session
        at org.graylog2.security.MongoDbSessionDAO.doUpdate(MongoDbSessionDAO.java:101) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.eis.CachingSessionDAO.update(CachingSessionDAO.java:277) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.DefaultSessionManager.onChange(DefaultSessionManager.java:212) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.AbstractNativeSessionManager.applyGlobalSessionTimeout(AbstractNativeSessionManager.java:125) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.AbstractNativeSessionManager.start(AbstractNativeSessionManager.java:100) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.apache.shiro.mgt.SessionsSecurityManager.start(SessionsSecurityManager.java:152) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.apache.shiro.subject.support.DelegatingSubject.getSession(DelegatingSubject.java:340) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.apache.shiro.subject.support.DelegatingSubject.getSession(DelegatingSubject.java:316) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.graylog2.shared.security.SessionCreator.create(SessionCreator.java:80) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.graylog2.rest.resources.system.SessionsResource.newSession(SessionsResource.java:146) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor238.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_352]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_352]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.lambda$static$0(ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.java:52) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher$1.run(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:124) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.invoke(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:167) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider$TypeOutInvoker.doDispatch(JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider.java:219) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.dispatch(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:79) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:469) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:391) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:80) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$1.run(ServerRuntime.java:255) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:248) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:244) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:292) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:274) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:244) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.process.internal.RequestScope.runInScope(RequestScope.java:265) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime.process(ServerRuntime.java:234) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.handle(ApplicationHandler.java:680) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.jersey.grizzly2.httpserver.GrizzlyHttpContainer.service(GrizzlyHttpContainer.java:356) [graylog.jar:?]
        at org.glassfish.grizzly.http.server.HttpHandler$1.run(HttpHandler.java:200) [graylog.jar:?]
        at com.codahale.metrics.InstrumentedExecutorService$InstrumentedRunnable.run(InstrumentedExecutorService.java:180) [graylog.jar:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_352]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_352]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750) [?:1.8.0_352]

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?

• verified, that no changes were made to /etc/graylog/server/server.conf
    • especially: mongodb_uri
  • verified, hostnames in mongodb_uri resolve to the correct IP addresses of mongod nodes
  • verified, replica set is set up properly and can be written to and read from (tested from various internal applications relying on MongoDB)
    • host1 is primary, host2 and host3 are secondaries
  • verified, graylog database exists in replica set
  • verified, that no auth is required against replica set

4. How can the community help?
Any advise is appreciated

• if deleting the replica set and creating a new one with same name is the cause of the server error 500 when attempting to log in
  • if there are any information about the replica set (i.e.: UUID, …) stored in graylog and if so,
    • how to change it or any other way to (re-)connect the graylog instance to the replica set,
  • helping to interpret the above error in graylog’s server.log (google did not help very much :face_with_diagonal_mouth:), especially:
    • what the exact cause is,
    • how and where to find further information and
    • how to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hello @rstellma

I see that the status & access of MongoDb was checked.

I need to ask a couple question about rebuild that was executed. Just to make sure , you are aware that all settings and configuration metadata are kept in MongoDb & Graylog is just the from end?

Was the MongoDb nodes deleted and then rebuild from the ground up or did you save the databases from each node and installed them back?

What does the rest of the log file look like? If you restart Graylog service and tail -f the log file is it possible to post that here?

How about Firewall, SELinux/Apparmor are any of those enable?
I know this will sound redundant but have you tried shutting down Graylog services, rebooting MongoDb services and starting Graylog service back up? Then tailing GL log file when it starts up. This kind of shows a clear picture on what is going on.
Did you see anything in the MongoDb log’s?
Was this rebuild to Upgrade MongoDb instance?

Could you explain in greater detail how this environment is set up. From what I get is you have three nodes with GL/ES/ and MongoDb on them is this correct?
EDIT:
Out of curiosity what does the status of Graylog look like?

systemctl status graylog-server

EDIT:2 I noticed you have a http_bind to 0.0.0.0, are you using a load balancer in front of this cluster (i.e. nginx)?
Just doing some research on this issue, I found this posts below, Notice the logs file that was posted? looks very familiar :thinking: but your log tends to be from Mongo.

And here

Hello @gsmith

Thanks for your reply.
I will try to answer your questions as clearly and comprehensively as I can, but i am not a graylog expert. Please excuse, if some points may remain unclear.

Just to make sure , you are aware that all settings and configuration metadata are kept in MongoDb & Graylog is just the from end?

Yes, i am aware of that. I checked the graylog database in MongoDB: there are several tables with data. I hoped graylog would connect to the database and keep using that data.

Was the MongoDb nodes deleted and then rebuild from the ground up or did you save the databases from each node and installed them back?

The nodes were not deleted and no databases were re-installed.
We use the MongoDB automation agent in conjunction with the MongoDB Cloud Manager to maintain the nodes and the replica set.
In Cloud Manager all configuration is done (i.e.: set configuration variables, add nodes to replica set, …), the Automation Agent pulls the changes to the nodes and/or replica set and deploys them on the nodes.

We rebuilt the replica set, by disabling the automation in the Cloud Manager UI, deleted the replica set entry, added a new replica set with same name and added the nodes to the replica set.
While we were taking these steps, the replica set has continued to work. We verified that with rs.status() in mongos.

No node was reinstalled, no databases were deleted and reinstalled. We just disabled automation via Cloud Manager for a few minutes.

What does the rest of the log file look like? If you restart Graylog service and tail -f the log file is it possible to post that here?

Log file would be too large for this forum, you may fetch it from here.

How about Firewall, SELinux/Apparmor are any of those enable?

No firewall, no Apparmor.

have you tried shutting down Graylog services, rebooting MongoDb services and starting Graylog service back up? Then tailing GL log file when it starts up.

I did and log shows the same as above.

From what I get is you have three nodes with GL/ES/ and MongoDb on them is this correct?

No. GS/EL is a single node, MongoDB runs on 3 different nodes independent of the graylog node

Out of curiosity what does the status of Graylog look like?

systemctl status graylog-server

● graylog-server.service - Graylog server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/graylog-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-11-30 08:24:09 UTC; 22min ago
       Docs: http://docs.graylog.org/
   Main PID: 465917 (graylog-server)
      Tasks: 360 (limit: 28753)
     Memory: 2.6G
     CGroup: /system.slice/graylog-server.service
             ├─465917 /bin/sh /usr/share/graylog-server/bin/graylog-server
             └─465965 /usr/bin/java -Xms4g -Xmx4g -XX:NewRatio=1 -server -XX:+ResizeTLAB -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Djdk.tls.acknowledgeCloseNotify=true -Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -jar -Dlog4j.configurationFile=file:///etc/graylog/server/log4j2.xml -Djava.library.path=/usr/share/graylog-server/lib/sigar -Dgraylog2.installation_source=deb /usr/share/graylog-server/graylog.jar server -f /etc/graylog/server/server.conf -np

Nov 30 08:24:09 graylog systemd[1]: Started Graylog server.

I noticed you have a http_bind to 0.0.0.0, are you using a load balancer in front of this cluster (i.e. nginx)?

No loadbalancer in front of graylog.

Notice the logs file that was posted? looks very familiar :thinking: but your log tends to be from Mongo.

No. The log is definitely from the graylog’s server.log.

I hope I was able to answer your questions in sufficient detail?

Hello @rstellma

Just from the log files you showed I can see a lot, much appreciated. To be honest it looks good I did find some WARN’ings in there.
I see Graylog can see MongoDb.

cluster] No server chosen by com.mongodb.client.internal.MongoClientDelegate$1@4f4d05b3 from cluster description ClusterDescription{type=REPLICA_SET, connectionMode=MULTIPLE, serverDescriptions=[ServerDescription{address=host1:27017, type=UNKNOWN, state=CONNECTING}, ServerDescription{address=host3:27017, type=UNKNOWN, state=CONNECTING}, ServerDescription{address=host2:27017, type=UNKNOWN, state=CONNECTING}]}. Waiting for 30000 ms before timing out
2022-11-30T08:24:16.277Z INFO  [connection] Opened connection [connectionId{localValue:1, serverValue:48467}] to host2:27017
2022-11-30T08:24:16.277Z INFO  [connection] Opened connection [connectionId{localValue:2, serverValue:392412}] to host3:27017
2022-11-30T08:24:16.278Z INFO  [connection] Opened connection [connectionId{localValue:3, serverValue:2440461}] to host1:27017
2022-11-30T08:24:16.290Z INFO  [cluster] Monitor thread successfully connected to server with description ServerDescription{address=host3:27017, type=REPLICA_SET_SECONDARY, state=CONNECTED, ok=true, version=ServerVersion{versionList=[4, 4, 13]}, minWireVersion=0, maxWireVersion=9, maxDocumentSize=16777216, logicalSessionTimeoutMinutes=30, roundTripTimeNanos=8411832, setName='replicaSet', canonicalAddress=host3:27017, hosts=[host2:27017, host3:27017, host1:27017], passives=[], arbiters=[], primary='host1:27017', tagSet=TagSet{[]}, electionId=null, setVersion=28789, lastWriteDate=Wed Nov 30 08:24:16 UTC 2022, lastUpdateTimeNanos=695892175957107}
2022-11-30T08:24:16.290Z INFO  [cluster] Monitor thread successfully connected to server with description ServerDescription{address=host1:27017, type=REPLICA_SET_PRIMARY, state=CONNECTED, ok=true, version=ServerVersion{versionList=[4, 4, 13]}, minWireVersion=0, maxWireVersion=9, maxDocumentSize=16777216, logicalSessionTimeoutMinutes=30, roundTripTimeNanos=8628150, setName='replicaSet', canonicalAddress=host1:27017, hosts=[host2:27017, host3:27017, host1:27017], passives=[], arbiters=[], primary='host1:27017', tagSet=TagSet{[]}, electionId=7fffffff0000000000000082, setVersion=28789, lastWriteDate=Wed Nov 30 08:24:16 UTC 2022, lastUpdateTimeNanos=695892176180898}
2022-11-30T08:24:16.292Z INFO  [cluster] Monitor thread successfully connected to server with description ServerDescription{address=host2:27017, type=REPLICA_SET_SECONDARY, state=CONNECTED, ok=true, version=ServerVersion{versionList=[4, 4, 13]}, minWireVersion=0, maxWireVersion=9, maxDocumentSize=16777216, logicalSessionTimeoutMinutes=30, roundTripTimeNanos=4895870, setName='replicaSet', canonicalAddress=host2:27017, hosts=[host2:27017, host3:27017, host1:27017], passives=[], arbiters=[], primary='host1:27017', tagSet=TagSet{[]}, electionId=null, setVersion=28789, lastWriteDate=Wed Nov 30 08:24:16 UTC 2022, lastUpdateTimeNanos=695892172799732}
2022-11-30T08:24:16.304Z INFO  [cluster] Setting max election id to 7fffffff0000000000000082 from replica set primary host1:27017
2022-11-30T08:24:16.304Z INFO  [cluster] Setting max set version to 28789 from replica set primary host1:27017
2022-11-30T08:24:16.304Z INFO  [cluster] Discovered replica set primary host1:27017
2022-11-30T08:24:16.314Z INFO  [connection] Opened connection [connectionId{localValue:4, serverValue:2440462}] to host1:27017

This mean you have GEO enabled but Graylog cant find this database GeoLite2-City.mmdb.

GeoIP database file does not exist: /etc/graylog/server/GeoLite2-City.mmdb

This is an operating system configuration issue. Pretty easy to fix, just google it

[UdpTransport] receiveBufferSize (SO_RCVBUF)

For the name Rebuild/Rebuilt, I just assumed you recreate those MongoDb nodes.

I personal do not see anything that would be and issue.

As you stated above this worked prior until MongoDB automation agent was execute? Not sure all what that does but unfortunately I’m not familiar with that service.

Have you check MongoDb log’s also?

So to re-cap You can not login the Web UI at all?

Some suggestion for check list:

Permissions - Check Files and Directory’s make sure Graylog and/mongo has access to what they own.

What I don’t get is that this worked before, I’m wondering what this MongoDB automation agent actually performed and Why.

Question: if you only have a http_bind 0.0.0.0.9000 on all three Graylog servers, which address are you using , gl_node-01, gl_node-02 or gl_node-03, Also are you just using ip address for FQDN? Have you tried other Graylog addresses.

Last question:

Have you tried to reset the admin password. Which is found in this documentation below.

https://docs.graylog.org/v1/docs/ubuntu

Please read the whole screen shot.

EDIT I’m not sure if I read that correct, do you only have 1 Graylog-Server /w elasticsearch and 3 MongoDb node?

Hello @gsmith

Thanks for your reply and please excuse my late repsonse. It’s been busy days and i have not had the time yet to further troubleshoot the issue.

I will once i find the time. Are you positively sure, this has something to do with the issue in question?

It’s a management software to manage and maintain MongoDB clusters and replica sets

I did and as far i can tell (i am not a MongoDB expert, either) it looks ok:

• graylog connects to the replica set
  • graylog writes some information into the graylogdatabase (collection: ‘sessions’)

So to re-cap You can not login the Web UI at all?

True

Some suggestion for check list:
Permissions - Check Files and Directory’s make sure Graylog and/mongo has access to what they own.

Checked and verified, that permissions are ok. We did not change anything there, anyway.

Question: if you only have a http_bind 0.0.0.0.9000 on all three Graylog servers, which address are you using , gl_node-01, gl_node-02 or gl_node-03, Also are you just using ip address for FQDN? Have you tried other Graylog addresses.

As i said earlier: it’s only one standalone graylog node.

Last question:
Have you tried to reset the admin password. Which is found in this documentation below.

I did not. If you are positively sure, resetting the password will help, i will try this step.

EDIT I’m not sure if I read that correct, do you only have 1 Graylog-Server /w elasticsearch and 3 MongoDb node?

Correct.

• 1 standalone node with graylog and elasticsearch on same node.
  • 3 mongod nodes

Hello,

Troubleshooting I would, BUT copy the graylog configuration file before you do any configurations.

root # cp server.conf server.conf.backup

Then execute the following

root # echo -n "Enter Password: " && head -1 </dev/stdin | tr -d '\n' | sha256sum | cut -d" " -f1

Once that is completed double check the server.conf password hash, then restart graylog service.

root # systemctl restart graylog-server

What needs to happen is at least be able to login and find out what is happening. There might be some errors shown on the Web UI for this issue.

1 Like

Hello @gsmith

Resetting the admin password did not help. I get the same error 500 when logging in and the same Java runtime exception is logged to the server’s log.

Addendum: even using a newly created database produces the error.

I created a new database in MongoDB (“graylog2”), stopped Graylog, modified the mongodb_uri string, started Graylog and tried to log in to the web UI. Same error 500, same entries in server.log.

Graylog creates all the collections in Mongo database graylog2, so it does not seem to be a permission problem. We don’t have authentication enabled anyway.

Hello,

Yeah the HTTP status code 500 is a generic error response meaning the server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request. This I would look at Graylog and Tail -f since this is a front end issue, Graylog would be resposible for that (i.e. Mongo connection, Ports/Firewalls, file and directory persmissions, etc…)

Showing your Graylog/Mongo configuration file would help or any logs when you tail -f Graylog log file after a restart would also help. Right now Im only guessing.

EDIT: To help you further , here is my lab setup config. take note I use static ip address and FQDN in my DMZ

GL-Config
[root@graylog graylog]# cat /etc/graylog/server/server.conf | egrep -v "^\s*(#|$)"
is_master = true
node_id_file = /etc/graylog/server/node-id
password_secret = epOqmLi7r7CdZxl76QOQxr8b------
root_password_sha2 = 5e884898da28047151d0e56f8dc6------
root_email = "greg.smith@domain.com"
root_timezone = America/Chicago
bin_dir = /usr/share/graylog-server/bin
data_dir = /var/lib/graylog-server
plugin_dir = /usr/share/graylog-server/plugin
http_bind_address = graylog.enseva-labs.net:9000
http_enable_cors = true
elasticsearch_hosts = http://8.8.8.8:9200
rotation_strategy = count
elasticsearch_max_docs_per_index = 20000000
elasticsearch_max_number_of_indices = 20
retention_strategy = delete
elasticsearch_shards = 4
elasticsearch_replicas = 0
elasticsearch_index_prefix = graylog
allow_leading_wildcard_searches = true
allow_highlighting = false
elasticsearch_analyzer = standard
elasticsearch_index_optimization_timeout = 1h
output_batch_size = 5000
output_flush_interval = 1
output_fault_count_threshold = 5
output_fault_penalty_seconds = 30
processbuffer_processors = 7
outputbuffer_processors = 3
processor_wait_strategy = blocking
ring_size = 65536
inputbuffer_ring_size = 65536
inputbuffer_processors = 2
inputbuffer_wait_strategy = blocking
message_journal_enabled = true
message_journal_dir = /var/lib/graylog-server/journal
message_journal_max_size = 12gb
lb_recognition_period_seconds = 3
mongodb_uri = mongodb://mongo_admin:password@localhost:27017/graylog
mongodb_max_connections = 1000
mongodb_threads_allowed_to_block_multiplier = 5
transport_email_enabled = true
transport_email_hostname = localhost
tansport_email_port = 25
transport_email_subject_prefix = [graylog]
transport_email_from_email = root@domain.com
transport_email_web_interface_url = https://8.8.8.8:9000
http_connect_timeout = 10s
proxied_requests_thread_pool_size = 32
prometheus_exporter_enabled =true
[root@graylog graylog]#
Mongo-Config
[root@graylog graylog]# cat /etc/mongod.conf | egrep -v "^\s*(#|$)"
systemLog:
  destination: file
  logAppend: true
  path: /var/log/mongodb/mongod.log
storage:
  dbPath: /var/lib/mongo
  journal:
    enabled: true
processManagement:
  fork: true  # fork and run in background
  pidFilePath: /var/run/mongodb/mongod.pid  # location of pidfile
net:
  port: 27017
  bindIp: 127.0.0.1  # Listen to local interface only, comment to listen on all interfaces.
security:
    authorization: enabled
operationProfiling:
 slowOpThresholdMs: 5
 mode: all
[root@graylog graylog]#

Hello @gsmith

GL-config

is_master = true
node_id_file = /etc/graylog/server/node-id
password_secret =
root_username = admin
root_password_sha2 =
bin_dir = /usr/share/graylog-server/bin
data_dir = /var/lib/graylog-server
plugin_dir = /usr/share/graylog-server/plugin
http_bind_address = 0.0.0.0:9000
rotation_strategy = count
elasticsearch_max_docs_per_index = 20000000
elasticsearch_max_number_of_indices = 4
retention_strategy = delete
elasticsearch_shards = 4
elasticsearch_replicas = 0
elasticsearch_index_prefix = graylog
allow_leading_wildcard_searches = false
allow_highlighting = false
elasticsearch_analyzer = standard
output_batch_size = 500
output_flush_interval = 1
output_fault_count_threshold = 5
output_fault_penalty_seconds = 30
processbuffer_processors = 5
outputbuffer_processors = 3
processor_wait_strategy = blocking
ring_size = 65536
inputbuffer_ring_size = 65536
inputbuffer_processors = 2
inputbuffer_wait_strategy = blocking
message_journal_enabled = true
message_journal_dir = /var/lib/graylog-server/journal
lb_recognition_period_seconds = 3
mongodb_uri = mongodb://host1:27017,host2:27017,host3:27017/graylog?replicaSet=rs01
mongodb_max_connections = 1000
mongodb_threads_allowed_to_block_multiplier = 5
proxied_requests_thread_pool_size = 32

Mongo-Config

THIS FILE IS MAINTAINED BY https://api-agents.mongodb.com . DO NOT MODIFY AS IT WILL BE OVERWRITTEN.

To make changes to your MongoDB deployment, please visit https://cloud.mongodb.com . Your Group ID is .

net:
bindIp: 0.0.0.0
processManagement:
fork: “true”
replication:
oplogSizeMB: 190000
replSetName: rs01
setParameter:
enableFlowControl: “false”
logicalSessionRefreshMillis: “1200000”
maxSessions: “2000000”
storage:
dbPath: /data
engine: wiredTiger
systemLog:
path: /data/mongodb.log

tail -f on the server.log shows the same error, i posted in my initial post

server.log

2022-12-16T07:58:11.851Z ERROR [AnyExceptionClassMapper] Unhandled exception in REST resource
java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn’t load session
at org.graylog2.security.MongoDbSessionDAO.doUpdate(MongoDbSessionDAO.java:101) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.eis.CachingSessionDAO.update(CachingSessionDAO.java:277) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.DefaultSessionManager.onChange(DefaultSessionManager.java:212) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.AbstractNativeSessionManager.applyGlobalSessionTimeout(AbstractNativeSessionManager.java:125) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.apache.shiro.session.mgt.AbstractNativeSessionManager.start(AbstractNativeSessionManager.java:100) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.apache.shiro.mgt.SessionsSecurityManager.start(SessionsSecurityManager.java:152) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.apache.shiro.subject.support.DelegatingSubject.getSession(DelegatingSubject.java:340) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.apache.shiro.subject.support.DelegatingSubject.getSession(DelegatingSubject.java:316) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.shared.security.SessionCreator.create(SessionCreator.java:80) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.rest.resources.system.SessionsResource.newSession(SessionsResource.java:146) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_352]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_352]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_352]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_352]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.lambda$static$0(ResourceMethodInvocationHandlerFactory.java:52) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher$1.run(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:124) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.invoke(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:167) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider$TypeOutInvoker.doDispatch(JavaResourceMethodDispatcherProvider.java:219) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.internal.AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.dispatch(AbstractJavaResourceMethodDispatcher.java:79) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:469) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:391) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.model.ResourceMethodInvoker.apply(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:80) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime$1.run(ServerRuntime.java:255) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:248) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors$1.call(Errors.java:244) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:292) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:274) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.internal.Errors.process(Errors.java:244) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.process.internal.RequestScope.runInScope(RequestScope.java:265) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ServerRuntime.process(ServerRuntime.java:234) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.server.ApplicationHandler.handle(ApplicationHandler.java:680) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.jersey.grizzly2.httpserver.GrizzlyHttpContainer.service(GrizzlyHttpContainer.java:356) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.glassfish.grizzly.http.server.HttpHandler$1.run(HttpHandler.java:200) [graylog.jar:?]
at com.codahale.metrics.InstrumentedExecutorService$InstrumentedRunnable.run(InstrumentedExecutorService.java:180) [graylog.jar:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_352]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_352]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750) [?:1.8.0_352]

I found another MongoDB-related error in the server.log:
com-mongodb-basicdbobject-cannot-be-cast-to-b

Unfortunately, deleting the ‘session’ collection did not help. Creating a new empty database (“graylog2”) and using it in graylog did not help. either. The collections are created in the new database, but login to web UI still fails.

Hey,

Couple things I see different then mine, please take note we do not bind any addresses 0.0.0.0 to our servers. This is all done by static IPaddres so Ip address will not change on any host and it easier routing to remote destinations.

Observations:

So you have a database called garylog2 , but you configuration file shows this…

And this…

Can I ask how did you go about change Graylog Default database? By default graylog should of created a database called “graylog”.

Next, I assume the configuration on each mongoDb are unique. I have links to this documention below.

Example of mine.

[root@graylog tools]# cat /etc/mongod.conf | egrep -v "^\s*(#|$)"
systemLog:
  path: /var/log/mongodb/mongod.log
storage:
  dbPath: /var/lib/mongo
  journal:
    enabled: true
processManagement:
  fork: true  # fork and run in background
  pidFilePath: /var/run/mongodb/mongod.pid  # location of pidfile
net:
  bindIp: 192.168.1.100  # Listen to local interface only, comment to listen on all interfaces.
security:
    authorization: enabled
replication:
 replSetName: "replica01"

operationProfiling:
 slowOpThresholdMs: 5
 mode: all
[root@graylog tools]#

You Graylog configuration look good, I just never used a http_bind 0.0.0.0 for the front end before its been static i.e., 192.168.1.100:9000 as shown above same with Mongodb configuration file/s.

Next troubleshooting. I understand from the statment above you did not adjust the configuration file for mongDb but the upgrade/update that was executed prior did failed now there seams to be an issue with MongoDb , which inturn unable to login.

Not sure if you done this ,but to view your replica set found here

I was looking at these commands.
Run rs.initiate() on just one and only one mongod instance for the replica set.

rs.initiate( {
   _id : "rs0",
   members: [
      { _id: 0, host: "mongodb0.example.net:27017" },
      { _id: 1, host: "mongodb1.example.net:27017" },
      { _id: 2, host: "mongodb2.example.net:27017" }
   ]
})
  • Use rs.conf() to display the replica set configuration object:
  • Use rs.status() to identify the primary in the replica set.

Also note, sometime editing Mongodb if its done manually, may create more issue.

What I was referring to in the way of Graylog logs is a stack-trace. When graylog startes up it performs checks, and I was/wanted to see logs that stating about a connected to MongoDb. This would show us that Graylog was/is able to connect to the database. Trying to do elimination on this issue because it did work before but now it doesnt. It would indicated that something did change.

Really not sure and since it seams you wiped Graylog database, just a suggestion for troubleshooting perhaps try 1 mongodb node and see if that works first while using maybe a static IP address instead of 0.0.0.0. you can always add more nodes.

EDIT: I also was looking at this documentations on HowTo with mongDb replica-set Connections here

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.