Root password does not change

Hi,

I’ve just installed an instance of graylog 4.3.7 running on ubuntu 20.04. Everything has been working well until I decided to change the root password following the normal process:

get the hash with
echo -n “Enter Password: " && head -1 </dev/stdin | tr -d ‘\n’ | sha256sum | cut -d” " -f1

then paste the hash in the configuration file at /etc/graylog/server/server.conf (at line 68 to be precise)
I’ve confirmed that this is the actual file that the program is reading, commenting the line will make graylog to fail when trying to start.

restart graylog

But when I try to log in through the web UI using the admin account and its new password, I receive a message of “Invalid Credentials”

Will appreciate any help.

Hello && Welcome @etenorio

[root@graylog server]# echo -n "Enter Password: " && head -1 </dev/stdin | tr -d '\n' | sha256sum | cut -d" " -f1
Enter Password: password
5e884898da28047151d0e56f8dc6292773603d0d6aabbdd62a11ef721d1542d8
[root@graylog server]#

Config file.

Restart graylog Service

systemctl restart graylog-server

Next refresh Browser tab

clt f5

Logon

Should be good, You can always “tail -f” Graylogs log file to see if there are errors.

1 Like

Hi @gsmith

Thanks for your time. This is odd, it is working now, even tough that is the same process that I was following, but I am wondering, is there any problem if I am executing the software from an extracted tar? i.e: /path/to/graylog-4.3.7/bin/graylogctl (start|stop|restart|status). That’s the only difference between your process and mine.

A strange behavior is that it says an input (the only one) is not running, but I am receiving logs just fine and the UDP port is properly bind to the ip. But anyway, that’s a different problem that I will investigate and open a new thread if I need some help.

Thank you.

hey @etenorio

Not sure , for 6 years never had to install .tar installation.

I would tail -f /var/log/graylog/server.log file and see what might be going on.

also check ES and MongoDb log file. Last time I’ve seen a issue like that was a permission issue and/or firewall/Selinux.

By chance is this an OVA installation ? Notice your showed graylogctl .

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.