Questions about installation requirements

I am hoping to install Graylog on an Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS server. I have a question about the requirements (and a request for a workaround if needed).

I run the Unifi controller for my network on this server. It requires the following packages.

$ dpkg -l | grep mongodb
ii  mongodb-org                           3.4.19                                       amd64        MongoDB open source document-oriented database system (metapackage)
ii  mongodb-org-mongos                    3.4.19                                       amd64        MongoDB sharded cluster query router
ii  mongodb-org-server                    3.4.19                                       amd64        MongoDB database server
ii  mongodb-org-shell                     3.4.19                                       amd64        MongoDB shell client
ii  mongodb-org-tools                     3.4.19                                       amd64        MongoDB tools
$ dpkg -l | grep openjdk
ii  openjdk-8-jre-headless:amd64          8u191-b12-2ubuntu0.18.04.1                   amd64        OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)

I see in the installation instructions that Graylog also installs openjdk-8 and mongodb. The problem is that it looks like it’s installing a newer version of mongodb and the Unifi controller does not work with a newer version. This was a problem when I went to install that and it is documented on their forums repeatedly.

So, my questions:

1. Will Graylog 3 work with MongoDB 3.4? Assuming it does require the newest version, is there an easy way to install the newer version beside the existing 3.4 and tell Graylog to use the newer version?
  2. Is the version of Java I have installed the correct version?

your java version is correct - for graylog you need mongodb 3.6 minimal what makes it not possible to run on the same server with the unifi controller.

maybe you can run a docker container for the graylogs mongodb? that would be an easier solution than having to different mongo versions on the same server.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.