MetricBeats input TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs not working

I’m trying to enable Beats input HTTPS with Graylog 2.4 on MetricBeats, and use mutual TLS with client certificates uploaded to Graylog. It works specifying the file path of a specific client cert. But with the directory option, receiving error:
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Short read of DER length

I have tried:
/etc/openssl/
/etc/openssl

Anyone run into this?

Which directory option?

When I edit the Beats input plugin, here:
System --> Inputs
Stop Input
More Actions --> Edit Input
Scroll down to input field: TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs(optional)

When I input: /etc/openssl

It doesn’t work.

When I input: /etc/openssl/clientcert.cert

It works. It says that directory or file can be used, “TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs (File or Directory)”

What’s in the logs of your Graylog node?
:arrow_right: http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.4/pages/configuration/file_location.html

Thank you for helping me.

I had tried to communicate this in the first post, the error is “short read of DER length.”

I’m on Ubuntu 16.04, and logfile is “/var/log/graylog-server/server.log”

Here is copy and paste from relevant log:

`java.security.cert.CertificateException: Unable to initialize, java.io.IOException: Short read of DER length
at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.(X509CertImpl.java:198) ~[?:1.8.0_151]

Please post the complete log and not just some arbitrary line.

Also, please post the output of the following commands:

$ namei -l /etc/openssl/*
$ file /etc/openssl/*

Here is complete log:

2018-02-04T15:57:00.889Z WARN [AbstractNioSelector] Failed to initialize an accepted socket.
java.security.cert.CertificateException: Unable to initialize, java.io.IOException: Short read of DER length
at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.(X509CertImpl.java:198) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.security.provider.X509Factory.parseX509orPKCS7Cert(X509Factory.java:471) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.security.provider.X509Factory.engineGenerateCertificates(X509Factory.java:356) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at java.security.cert.CertificateFactory.generateCertificates(CertificateFactory.java:462) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at org.graylog2.plugin.inputs.transports.util.KeyUtil.loadCertificates(KeyUtil.java:91) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.plugin.inputs.transports.util.KeyUtil.loadCertificates(KeyUtil.java:103) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.plugin.inputs.transports.util.KeyUtil.initTrustStore(KeyUtil.java:73) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.plugin.inputs.transports.AbstractTcpTransport$1.createSslEngine(AbstractTcpTransport.java:199) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.plugin.inputs.transports.AbstractTcpTransport$1.call(AbstractTcpTransport.java:186) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.plugin.inputs.transports.AbstractTcpTransport$1.call(AbstractTcpTransport.java:182) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.graylog2.plugin.inputs.transports.NettyTransport$1.getPipeline(NettyTransport.java:110) ~[graylog.jar:?]
at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerBoss.registerAcceptedChannel(NioServerBoss.java:134) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerBoss.process(NioServerBoss.java:104) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:337) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerBoss.run(NioServerBoss.java:42) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.jboss.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108) [graylog.jar:?]
at org.jboss.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42) [graylog.jar:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_151]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_151]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_151]
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Short read of DER length
at sun.security.util.DerInputStream.getLength(DerInputStream.java:582) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.security.util.DerValue.(DerValue.java:258) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.security.util.DerInputStream.getDerValue(DerInputStream.java:451) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.parse(X509CertImpl.java:1784) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.(X509CertImpl.java:195) ~[?:1.8.0_151]

root@freya:/etc/openssl# namei -l /etc/openssl/*
f: /etc/openssl/cacerts.jks
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
drwxr-xr-x graylog graylog openssl
-rw-r–r-- graylog graylog cacerts.jks
f: /etc/openssl/create_ssl_certs.sh
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
-rwxr-xr-x graylog graylog create_ssl_certs.sh
f: /etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.cert.pem
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
-rw-r–r-- graylog graylog freya.domain.net.cert.pem
f: /etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.pkcs5-plain.key.pem
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
-rw-r–r-- graylog graylog freya.domain.net.pkcs5-plain.key.pem
f: /etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.pkcs8-encrypted.key.pem
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
-rw-r–r-- graylog graylog freya.domain.net.pkcs8-encrypted.key.pem
f: /etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.pkcs8-plain.key.pem
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
-rw-r–r-- graylog graylog freya.domain.net.pkcs8-plain.key.pem
f: /etc/openssl/graylog-cert.pem
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
-rw-r–r-- graylog graylog graylog-cert.pem
f: /etc/openssl/host.clientdomain.net.cert.pem
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root etc
-rw-r–r-- graylog graylog host.clientdomain.cert.pem
root@freya:/etc/openssl#

root@freya:/etc/openssl# file /etc/openssl/*
/etc/openssl/cacerts.jks: Java KeyStore
/etc/openssl/create_ssl_certs.sh: Bourne-Again shell script, ASCII text executable, with very long lines
/etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.cert.pem: PEM certificate
/etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.pkcs5-plain.key.pem: ASCII text
/etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.pkcs8-encrypted.key.pem: ASCII text
/etc/openssl/freya.domain.net.pkcs8-plain.key.pem: ASCII text
/etc/openssl/graylog-cert.pem: PEM certificate
/etc/openssl/host.clientdomain.net.cert.pem: PEM certificate
root@freya:/etc/openssl#

Try providing a directory which only contains valid certificates and no other files.

That worked perfectly well. Thank you! I just created a new directory of /etc/openssl/clients and copied the one client generated public certificate into the directory. Re-started the plugin and specified that directory, and it worked. THANK YOU!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.