Beats input with TLS enabled - authentication problem

Hey,

I am a little bit lost with how the TLS authentication should work with inputs. I have read the docs over and over, multiple posts about similar problems and I haven’t found any answers to my question yet so I decided to post one myself.

So what have I done:

• made all the necessary certificates and even changed the key format to pkcs8.
  • tested the connection without the TLS and confirmed that Filebeat could send logs to Graylog
  • added the CA.crt to the jvm.keystore as guided in the documents
  • added the client.crt to the “trusted_clients” directory
  • shared the certificates to correct locations and changed the permissions correctly
  • tested the certificates with keytool and curl (connections OK)
  • restarted everything
  • configured the input to use TLS with authentication enabled

Beats input was configured as follows:

"tls_client_auth_cert_file": "/etc/graylog/server/trusted_clients/",
"tls_cert_file": "/etc/graylog/server/certs/server.crt",
"port": 5044,
"tls_key_file": "/etc/graylog/server/certs/server.key",
"tls_enable": true,
"tls_key_password": "",
"tls_client_auth": "required"

Filebeat is configured as follows:

output.logstash:
  hosts: ["only.graylog.server:5044"]
  ssl.certificate_authorities: ["/etc/filebeat/certs/ca.crt"]
  ssl.certificate: "/etc/filebeat/certs/client.crt"
  ssl.key: "/etc/filebeat/certs/client.key"

What I expected:

• logs to be sent over TLS

What I got:

• Some error messages saying that the configured path to “trusted_clients” is a directory

Next I configured the “TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs(optional)” to point to a client.crt inside the directory. I got an error saying “javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: error:100000c0:SSL routines:OPENSSL_internal:PEER_DID_NOT_RETURN_A_CERTIFICATE)”.

Then I accidentally stumbled to this post: TLS Client authentication - null cert chain

So I tried the same thing and finally got the TLS authentication working when I moved CA.crt to the “trusted_clients” directory and pointed the “TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs(optional)” to it. I thought this was weird but it was working - although there was a new error in the Graylog server.log saying that “Client auth configured, but no authorized certificates / certificate authorities configured for input”.

But why? Shouldn’t there be all of the “client.crt” -files under the “trusted_clients” directory? (BTW, got the “TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs(optional)” working as directory by pointing the path to “/etc/graylog/server/trusted_clients/*” <- see the asterisk).

What I did next I removed the CA.crt from the directory but it still works. I removed the client.crt and it is still working. I even changed the path in the input configuration to “/etc/graylog/server/untrusted_clients/” and it still works. I have restarted everything.

This post was a bit long and maybe a bit hard to read but I hope someone got the gist of it. :slightly_smiling_face:

So I think my question here is that how to do this correctly?

Graylog versions: 3.0.2, 3.1.4, 3.2.4
MongoDB vesion: 4.0.12
Elasticsearch version: 6.8.2

he @bortobor

the main problem is that the directory with trusted certificates is not working proper. You need to create a single file that includes all certificates and point to that file.

This is a known issue and we have already an open item in Github for that.

hpe that helps you.

Hi @jan

Thanks for the info. I somehow missed that when I was browsing through the issue list.

My other consern was that we don’t have any certificates in the folder at the moment and it is still working :slight_smile: And it started working when I pointed to the CA.crt which is already added in the keystore. It did not work with the client.crt.

I tried the workaround with no luck. I combined the client certificates like this: “cat client1.crt client2.crt > singlefile.crt” and I pointed “TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs(optional)” to /etc/graylog/server/trusted_clients/singlefile.crt" and everything stopped working. I am getting the following error “javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: error:100000c0:SSL routines:OPENSSL_internal:PEER_DID_NOT_RETURN_A_CERTIFICATE)” but the certs seems to be fine.

Changed the “TLS Client Auth Trusted Certs(optional)” back to "/etc/graylog/server/trusted_clients/* " and everything started working again.

FYI: I tried using the following guides to do all the certificates: https://github.com/Busindre/How-to-configure-SSL-for-FileBeat-and-Logstash-step-by-step and https://github.com/graylog-labs/shadowCA

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.