Looks like the Ubuntu install instructions don't work

Before you post: Your responses to these questions will help the community help you. Please complete this template if you’re asking a support question.
Don’t forget to select tags to help index your topic!

1. Describe your incident:
Fails at Mongodb install

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information:
    Clean vm of Ubuntu 22.04

• Package Version:

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
Tried repeatedly

4. How can the community help?
Amend the instructions for idiots like me who just need to get it up and running!

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

Also there used to be an OVA - has that been deprecated, or just moved elsewhere?

Specifically the tee command in the first section for MongoDB, amended to 5.3 from 5.x (is this right?) just never completes. I am running it as root and natch without the sudo

The tee command writes to standard output and copies the command to the specified file(s). It’s not clear where you are talking about since you didn’t post the actual page/command - I am guessing it’s on the page Ubuntu installation and the command that is hanging is the following:

sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-5.x.list

I believe the command they really would like you to do is the previous piped into tee as such:

echo "deb [ arch=amd64 ] https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu bionic/mongodb-org/5.0 multiverse" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-5.x.list

If you look at the old 4.0 docs here that is the way it was really intended.

@dscryber can notify the doc dudes to take a look at it.

3 Likes

On it. thanks @tmacgbay

1 Like

Sorry - here is what simply fails to do anything:

root@graylog-u:/home/ladmin# echo “deb [ arch=amd64 ] MongoDB Repositories bionic/mongodb-org/5.0 multiverse”
deb [ arch=amd64 ] MongoDB Repositories bionic/mongodb-org/5.0 multiverse
root@graylog-u:/home/ladmin# tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-5.3.list

^C
root@graylog-u:/home/ladmin#

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how do I work out the value of x in that command?

The OVA was for an old version. It was unhardened and not designed for companies, but sadly many used in production environments.
You can still find the old version, but Graylog might not issue OVA files for newer versions.

Thanks. But I just want to install GL and use it. I can’t manage that on either Ubuntu or Centos.

I installed it yesterday without any issues on Ubuntu 22.04.
There is a video out there: How To Install Graylog On CentOS - YouTube

2 Likes

This is not supposed to be two commands, one is supposed to pipe into the other… as shown in my previous post…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.