Load some sample data by hand and/or from Postgres

I’m total newbee in Graylog/ES stuff. Using Kibana I downloaded some test data to see how its visualisations work (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/tutorial-load-dataset.html)
Can I do smth similar with Graylog?
Also I would like to try downloading test data sample that is stored in Postgres now, say 10-100 rows from one table to see how I can visualize them with Graylog dashboards. With that small data sample I can do it manually, without configuring plugins or whatever, but can’t figure out how.

Many thanks!

We don’t provide ready-to-go example data sets.

This being said, you can of course ingest your custom (example) data sets into Graylog with any protocol supported by Graylog.

You could use the Logstash JDBC input and GELF output to read data from PostgreSQL and send it to Graylog.

1 Like

Just to be clear. That means I necessarily need to install Logstash to try that?

It’s just a suggestion. It’s completely up to you how you ingest any data into Graylog.

Actually I used this article https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-inputs-jdbc.html to load sample data to logstash. There were no error messages or any feedback. But after that I can’t find out whether this was successful and can’t find the way to visualize it on the dashboard. So it’s not clear what to do next.

What are you trying to achieve?

I want to visualize a portion of data just to see how it all works. Preferrably it should be taken from postgres.

Graylog requires the data it visualizes to be ingested by Graylog.

So you can basically take any data source (log stream, flat files, databases, message brokers such as RabbitMQ or Apache Kafka), send their data to Graylog (e. g. using Logstash, Filebeat, Syslog, whatever), and then use Graylog to visualize the data using dashboards.

Also, please take a look at the Getting Started Guide and the Dashboards documentation:

Getting started tutorial shows the example with syslog. Is it necessary to try it or it’s just an example? Anyway I tried and unfortunately I had no messages and checking in ‘If You Don’t Have Messages’ didn’t help me. Basically I can’t understand how to check whether loading by command like

input {
  jdbc {
    jdbc_driver_library => "mysql-connector-java-5.1.36-bin.jar"
    jdbc_driver_class => "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
    jdbc_connection_string => "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydb"
    jdbc_user => "mysql"
    parameters => { "favorite_artist" => "Beethoven" }
    schedule => "* * * * *"
    statement => "SELECT * from songs where artist = :favorite_artist"
  }
}

was successful. What is the command fot this? And how to make it accessible by graylog dashboards?

What’s your ultimate goal with Graylog?

Maybe you’re simply looking for a visualization tool like Grafana and not a full-fledged centralized log management solution like Graylog.

We already have Graphana and want to have a tool with exploration and analysis, not just monitoring.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.