Is it allowed to use graylog open commercial?

I don’t have a question in terms of function or anything like that, this time.

I want to know if it is possible to use Graylog open as a software in a company and maybe even offer some of its functions to costomers. I mean like: I set up a Graylog cluster on my servers and give costomers access to it and get payed for storage and maintanance. And if thats not possible I want to use it for internal processes but with costomer data. I couldn’t find any sort of licenceagreement or something like that for graylog open, where I could find something like that. I would guess using it internally isn’t a problem because thats what it’s designed for, I think? But selling it as software as a service could be problematic?

I appreciate every helpful answer. I know this may sound a little stupid but I just want to be sure and I got asked if it may be possible to offer it to costomers later.
And I’m sorry if my english isn’t that good.

Hi @Malle
Graylog is licenced (from vesion 4 on) under SSPL.

The Server Side Public License (SSPL) is a source-available software license introduced by MongoDB Inc. in 2018.[2][3] It includes most of the text and provisions of the GNU Affero General Public License version 3 (AGPL v3),[4] and primarily replaces section 13 “Remote Network Interaction; Use with the GNU General Public License.” with a new section that requires that anyone who offers the functionality of SSPL-licensed software to third-parties as a service must release the entirety of their source code, including all software, APIs, and other software that would be required for a user to run an instance of the service themselves, under the SSPL. In contrast, the AGPL v3’s section 13 covers only the program itself (the copyrightable work licensed under AGPL v3).

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply, that was defenetly helpful.
If I understand that right, it wouldn’t be a good idea to offer anything to people but as long as it is used for internal processes of my company there shouldn’t be any problem?

internally is 100% fine

1 Like

@ihe is correct. For internal use, it’s fine.

We do have several MSSP partners, so if you are interested in offering it to your customers as a service, the commercial version may serve your needs even better than Open. If you are interested, send me a DM and I will get you in touch with the right people.

1 Like

I don’t think that will be needed. My colleague kinda just wanted to know if this would be possible but it’s not planned to happen. But thank you very much for your answer and if in some case one day we really want to offer this to costomers, we will reach out to you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.