Graylog service fails to start with java: operation not permitted

Before you post: Your responses to these questions will help the community help you. Please complete this template if you’re asking a support question.
Don’t forget to select tags to help index your topic!

1. Describe your incident:
graylog will no longer start after config mods. I attempted to configure the email alert settings, ended up breaking graylog. I restored the prior config but it still won’t start. The graylog java package says:
line 23: /usr/share/graylog-server/jvm/bin/java: Operation not permitted

When I substitute the system java, I get:
ERROR StatusConsoleListener An exception occurred processing Appender graylog-internal-logs
Apr 01 15:42:23 example.com graylog-server[30855]: org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AppenderLoggingException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.github.luben.zstd.ZstdOutputStreamNoFinalizer

java --version:
openjdk 17.0.10 2024-01-16 LTS

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information:
    RHEL
  • Package Version:
    RHEL9.3
    graylog 5.2
  • Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
comment email server settings, TLS settings
update-alternatives --config java
heaved system out the window

4. How can the community help?
Please solve all my problems, or I will need to insist on a refund of this free graylog.
This issue appears to involve java in some way, but I got nutn.

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.