Graylog OVA Sending Email Alerts

Hi,

I am new to Graylog and I apologize in advance if this is a silly question.

I want to setup email alerts using the OVA I downloaded from Graylog.org. However, I am unable to do so as I keep encountering the SMTP error. I tried updating the config settings using the graylog-ctl and the graylog-settings.json file in /etc/graylog/ directory… I’ve tried looking up for a possible solution but I haven’t been successful so far. Please let me know if I can do this, if yes can someone post a working example?

Thank you for your help

Sharath.

@sharath

• what exactly have you done
  • what exact message you received as an error
  • what is your wanted scenario that should work

So,

I downloaded the OVA image Graylog-2.3.2.ova on my local system and I’m using VirtualBox to run it. I have updated the graylog-settings.json file in /etc/graylog directory to this -

{
  "timezone":"America/Los_Angeles",
  "smtp_server":"smtp.gmail.com",
  "smtp_port":465,
  "smtp_user": "abc@xyz",
  "smtp_password":"abcdefgh",
  "smtp_from_email":"abc@xyz",
  "smtp_web_url":"mail.google.com",
  "smtp_no_tls":false,
  "smtp_no_ssl":"false,
  "master_node":"127.0.0.1",
  "current_address":"xx.xx.xx.xx",
  "last_address":"xx.xx.xx.xx",
  "enforce_ssl":"false",
  "journal_size":1,
  "node_id":false,
  "internal_logging": true,
  "web_listen_uri": false,
  "web_endpoint_uri": false,
  "rest_listen_uri": false,
  "rest_transport_uri": false,
  "external_rest_uri": false,
  "custom_attributes": {
  }
}

When I try sending a test email alert I get this error -
Sending test alert notification failed with message: Sending the email to the following server failed: smtp.gmail.com:465

I am trying to configure the email alerts to be sent from "abc@xyz.com" to my personal email id.

Please let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks,
Sharath

@sharath

did you run graylog-ctl reconfigure after your changes?

@jan

Yeah. I got the error when I hit the test button on the Manage Notifications section.

1. Your JSON file is syntactically incorrect. There’s a stray double quote next to the smtp_no_ssl key.
  2. What’s in the logs of your Graylog node?
    :arrow_right: http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.3/pages/configuration/file_location.html#omnibus-graylog
  3. smtp.gmail.com requires SSL on port 465 (see https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en for details).
1 Like

Hi @jochen

Thanks for pointing that out. It worked.

Sharath.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.