Document that Graylog 4.3.x supports MongoDB 5

This README says:

Hint: Graylog 4.3.x does support MongoDB 5.0, which allows for a seamless upgrade path.

However, these pages mention MongoDB 4.4 being the maximum supported version.

Can you please:

• Confirm that Graylog 4.3.x supports MongoDB 5?
  • Update the Graylog 4.3.x documentation to reflect that?

Thanks!
Logan

1 Like

Hello @lmm5247

Graylog 5 beta can support MongoDb 5.0 right now. I don’t think it release in the wild yet.

You can find more here about what version on MongoDb to use with Graylog 4.3.x.

EDIT: I think I get now, since its still in beta, I do believe this maybe the cause why Graylog documentation is not updated.
Found here also

1 Like

What about the README that says Graylog 4.3.x supports MongoDB 5.0? I’d like to upgrade to MongoDB 5.0 on my current Graylog instance if possible.

@lmm5247

If your referring to GitHub then I would suggest looking at Graylog.org instead.

As of today 11/10/2022

Graylog Beta 3

EDIT: TBH I’m waiting till the full release of Graylog 5.0 comes out, then I will do the upgrade from 4.3 to 5.0. Even thou it states 4.3 is able to support that version its basically for a smooth upgrade process but I would imaging if you insist on wanting Mongo 5.0 its possible but user beware also if this is a production environment I wouldn’t take the chance. Normally when its posted in the main Graylog documentations I know its good to go then.

Joining the discussion here because its specifically this case why I signed up :slight_smile:
I think the problem here is that the documentation states that Graylog 4.3.X supports MongoDB up until 4.4, but for running Graylog 5 the documentation states:

Running Graylog 5.0 requires MongoDB 5.0 or 6.0.

So I am a bit puzzled how to actually do upgrades from Graylog 4.3.X to Graylog 5 as v4 only supports MongoDB up until 4.4 but for v5 I need MongoDB 5.X or 6.X - seems like a chicken-and-egg problem.

Looking forward for the clarification :slight_smile:

Going off this README:

Graylog 5 needs at least MongoDB 5.0. Our recommended upgrade path is to first bring your MongoDB to 5.0 and then perform the Graylog upgrade. Hint: Graylog 4.3.x does support MongoDB 5.0, which allows for a seamless upgrade path.

For what it’s worth, I’m running MongoDB 5 with Graylog 4.3 currently.

>  db.adminCommand( { getParameter: 1, featureCompatibilityVersion: 1 } )
{ "featureCompatibilityVersion" : { "version" : "5.0" }, "ok" : 1 }
1 Like