An error occurred while rendering message preview in a new row

The search result message preview is not working when some messages are received and this error is displayed:

While rendering this widget, the following error occurred:
NotFoundError: Failed to execute ‘removeChild’ on ‘Node’: The node to be removed is not a child of this node.

If I disable the message preview the plugin works fine.

Environment:

• OS Information: Ubuntu Server 22.04.2 LTS

• Package Version: graylog-server 5.1.2-1

This is something just reported here While rendering this widget, the following error occurred: NotFoundError: Failed to execute ‘removeChild’ on ‘Node’: The node to be removed is not a child of this node - Graylog Central (peer support) - Graylog Community but it seems that it is not resolved.

The topic you linked to is really old - from version 3.3. The error message is a pretty generic React error, so I doubt this is the same thing.

If I disable the message preview the plugin works fine

What plugin are you referring to?

Hi patrickmann,
yeah I know, it is really old but the resulting problem is exactly the same. I’m referring to the “All messages” plugin and this is the option:

We call dashboard components widgets; plugins are functional extensions to Graylog.

It must be something local to your setup since everybody uses message preview and we haven’t heard it’s broken from anybody else. Is there any further information visible in the browser console?
Try reducing the set of displayed fields to just one. Does that change anything?

I named it “widget” in my previous post just because it is the error reported by your platform. Anyway, I noticed that this happens with some messages and this is what is present in the console:

As I described, if I remove the “Show message in new row” option it works but obviously I don’t have the preview.

P.s. telling “We haven’t heard it’s broken from anybody else” is not productive for anybody. Error handling is your responsibility, not the customers. Also, it is an out-of-the-box installation with one input, one index and one stream, so no custom implementations could cause this error. Finally, if it is something related to a message or something that it is not expected, the platform should give me this information.

Thanks.

@giuseppe.terrasi My comment about this being the first report was just that. We certainly take any bug report seriously. My point is: there is something about your environment that is fairly unique and I would like to pinpoint that.

Which browser are you running? If Chrome, does the error occur after disabling extensions? In particular, do you use a translation extension?

This problem was present with Chrome and Edge and seems that it is something related to the 3cx extension. When I disabled it and enabled all the others the problem disappeared.

I noticed that this extension tries to convert any number that can be represented as a phone number into a clickable element to start a call. Maybe, when a message contains some of these numbers, this conversion fails and breaks the DOM constructed by the widget causing the error.

Great - that is good to know. I will followup with frontend engineers and see if there is anything we can do to be more robust in the face of such extensions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.