Upgrade Assistance from 2.4.6 to 2.4.7

Hi All,

I recently upgraded our Graylog server using Webmin from version 2.4.6+ceaa7e4, codename Wildwuchs to graylog-server 2.4.7-1.

Since the upgrade I’m unable to access the Graylog interface, is there any log file I can show you or can you suggest anything I could try?

Thanks,

all messages are in the Graylog server.log that is located at /var/log/graylog-server/server.log

that should indicate what the problem is

This is what I found in the log file, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I’ve attached a picture of the log file.

What’s the status of the mongod service?

According to Webmin the mongod service is running. See below

Here is what the mongodb.log says

Are there any errors in the MongoDB service log before it starts closing connections and shutting down the service before restarting? Above where the top of the screenshot starts. The Graylog log you posted first indicates a problem opening a connection to MongoDB. That’s where all of the Graylog server configurations live.

I can’t see any MongoDB service log, where is the location? I can only see the mongodb.log

Unless the kernel is killing the service for some reason (we should see that in kern.log), it will be in one of those. Any errors in the current log? Or, what’s at the end of the prior log? (mongodb.log.1)

This is what I’m seeing at the end of the mongodb.log.1

Here is the end of the current mongodb.log

Would it be possible to upload the graylog server.log and mongodb.log for you to inspect?

I manged to get Graylog running again by upgrading MongoDB to version 4.2.

I’m now trying to upgrade Graylog from version 2.4.6-1 to Graylog 2.5 by following the instructions below

wget https://packages.graylog2.org/repo/packages/graylog-2.5-repository_latest.deb
sudo dpkg -i graylog-2.5-repository_latest.deb
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install graylog-server

Unfortunately I’m Graylog is still saying the following after a reboot

I also checked the System / Nodes System and it’s still showing this version number.

Version: 2.4.6+ceaa7e4, codename Wildwuchs

Please can you confirm how I upgrade this version of Graylog?

Hello @manga411, so glad you fixed your MongoDB issue! For me an outdated version still showing after an upgrade is usually simply because the browser cache needs to be refreshed. The simplest fix is to force a refresh using whatever method your browser requires. For me it is to hold shift while clicking refresh or pressing F5.

Hello @ttsandrew I tried your suggestion pressing F5 and even tried another browser but I’m still getting this message? Can you confirm the steps I mentioned are correct to upgrade Graylog?

Yes those are the correct steps, I just used those exact steps (plus one more for enterprise plugins) to upgrade our test environment from 3.8 to 4.0.

does apt show graylog-server show version 2.5?
Were there any errors when you ran the install?
You confirmed you did cycle the service, correct? sudo systemctl restart graylog-server

I didn’t get any errors when I performed the upgrade. Below is what I get from running apt show graylog-server

I’ve also tried to cycle the service but it’s still showing this version?

It doesn’t look like the install was actually performed. Have you tried running it again? Maybe there was an error that was missed.

should I just run these commands below again?

wget https://packages.graylog2.org/repo/packages/graylog-2.5-repository_latest.deb
sudo dpkg -i graylog-2.5-repository_latest.deb
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install graylog-server

If the repository is already downloaded and available in the current directory you don’t need to run the first command again. The rest of the commands are correct, yes.

Here what I got when running those commands again
Command

Interesting. You might try sudo apt-get upgrade graylog-server=2.5.1

Tried that command

flexible@test-pur-syslog-1:~ sudo apt-get upgrade graylog-server=2.5.1 Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done E: Version ‘2.5.1’ for ‘graylog-server’ was not found flexible@test-pur-syslog-1:~