Solved: Problem with pipeline rule and grok pattern

Hello everybody,

i am Dirk from Germany. I am a newbie with graylog. The most of my problems i solved with good inet documentation and youtube :-). But now i have a problem with the pipelines rules and a grok pattern.

The following grok pattern works fine within the extracttor.

action=%{QUOTEDSTRING:action}\s*.*\s*srcip=\"%{IPV4:SourceIP}\"\s*dstip=\"%{IPV4:DestinationIP}\"\s*.*\s*srcport=\"%{POSINT:SourcePORT}\"\s*dstport=\"%{POSINT:DestinationPORT}\"

But the follwoing code for the pipeline rule doesn’t work.

rule "SOPHOS UTM SYSLOG RULE"
when
    has_field("message")
then
    let message_field = to_string($message.message);

let fw = grok(pattern: "action=%{QUOTEDSTRING:action}\s*.*\s*srcip=\"%{IPV4:SourceIP}\"\s*dstip=\"%{IPV4:DestinationIP}\"\s*.*\s*srcport=\"%{POSINT:SourcePORT}\"\s*dstport=\"%{POSINT:DestinationPORT}\"", value: message_field, only_named_captures: true);

set_fields(fw);
end

I can’t safe the rule. I see no red x on the left site if i write the code by hand. If i make a cut and paste from my notepad into the rule editor i get an red x on line 7 on the left site.

At the moment i work with Graylog Version : Graylog v3.0.2+1686930 and Elasticsearch-oss 6.8.2

I hope somebody of you can help me and can say what mistake i have done.

Solution: I have to escape the backslash and the double quotes. Both are special characters.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Dirk

What is the issue you’re actually encountering?

Hi Ponet,

thanks for your reply. I can’t safe the rule. I see no red x on the left site if i write the code by hand. If i make a cut and paste from my notepad into the rule editor i get an red x on line 7 on the left site.

At the moment i work with Graylog Version : Graylog v3.0.2+1686930 and Elasticsearch-oss 6.8.2.

Best regards.

Dirk

Hi @diba

Try escaping the backslash characters in your grok pattern…

grok(pattern: "action=%{QUOTEDSTRING:action}\\s*.*\\s*srcip=\\"%{IPV4:SourceIP}\\"\\s*dstip=\\"%{IPV4:DestinationIP}\\"\\s*.*\\s*srcport=\\"%{POSINT:SourcePORT}\\"\\s*dstport=\\"%{POSINT:DestinationPORT}\\"", value: message_field, only_named_captures: true);

HI @Ponet,

i tested the code from your answer but unfortunately it doesn’t work.

This time i got two red x in line 7 and 10.

Do you have any other idea ?

Best regards

Dirk

Hi @Ponet

i found the solution. i have to escape the double quotes too.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Dirk

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.