RegEx works on regex101.com but not

I know I am doing something simple here but just can’t find it.
With the following message: {{Replaced IPs with x’s}}

snort[42549]: [120:18:3] (http_inspect) PROTOCOL-OTHER HTTP server response before client request [Classification: Unknown Traffic] [Priority: 3] {TCP} x.x.x.x:8088 -> x.x.x.x:36094

I can get pretty good matches with:
\[Classification: (.+?)\] \[Priority: (\d+)\] \{(.+?)\} (\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(:(\d{1,5}))? -> (\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(:(\d{1,5}))?\R?

on www.regex101.com

When i replace:
rule “Extract Snort alert fields”
when
has_field(“message”)
then
let m = regex("\[(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)\] (.+?) \[Classification: (.+?)\] \[Priority: (\d+)]: \<(.+?)\> \{(.+?)\} (\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(:(\d{1,5}))? -> (\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(:(\d{1,5}))?\R?", to_string($message.message));

the regex portion with:
\[Classification: (.+?)\] \[Priority: (\d+)\] \{(.+?)\} (\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(:(\d{1,5}))? -> (\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})(:(\d{1,5}))?\R?

I get an error on that line: Invalid Expression line 5 (which is the regex) column 36 (which I am not sure how to read that)

Now this is probably due to regex formatting i.e. Java requires \ instead of \ how ever replaced all the \ with \ and still get same error.

Any ideas?

you need double escape. eg. \d

Thank you very much for the response. Do I need to escape everything with a \ or just the \d and is the escape \ or / all these different languages for a newbie like me is confusing me :frowning:

\\ instead \
And I suggest start with little things first …

Thank you once again I have tried

let m = regex("\[Classification: (.+?)\] \[Priority: (\\d+)\] \{(.+?)\} (\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3})(:(\\d{1,5}))? -> (\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3}\.\\d{1,3})(:(\\d{1,5}))?\R?", to_string($message.message));

Still no luck do I need to escape all \ or just \d. Still invalid expression at column 36

Seems like all \ need to be escaped this worked:

\\[Classification: (.+?)\\] \\[Priority: (\\d+)\\] \\{(.+?)\\} (\\d{1,3}\\.\\d{1,3}\\.\\d{1,3}\\.\\d{1,3})(:(\\d{1,5}))? -> (\\d{1,3}\\.\\d{1,3}\\.\\d{1,3}\\.\\d{1,3})(:(\\d{1,5}))?\\R?

Thank you for the guidance!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.