Recently migrated to another drive now getting lots of index errors

1. Describe your incident:
Recently migrated my Graylog deployment from our 1.5TB disk to our 9TB disk due to space constrictions.

Everything seems working after a little bit of ball-ache, we’re receiving logs from our sidecars and it all seems to be okay on that front.

However, I’m getting a large number of indexing errors which we weren’t receiving before. All in regards to parameters being mapped to the incorrect variable type such as the [date] variable being a string.

An example of the error message is below, with all the others in our list (13,450 over 24/hrs) being very similar with the [date] type not being an actual date.

I’m also seeing no logs for elasticsearch in my data/log/elasticsearch directory after pointing to it in the config

ElasticsearchException[Elasticsearch exception [type=mapper_parsing_exception, reason=failed to parse field [winlogbeat_winlog_event_data_param1] of type [date] in document with id '****'. Preview of field's value: 'Software Protection']]; nested: ElasticsearchException[Elasticsearch exception [type=illegal_argument_exception, reason=failed to parse date field [Software Protection] with format [strict_date_optional_time||epoch_millis]]]; nested: ElasticsearchException[Elasticsearch exception [type=date_time_parse_exception, reason=Failed to parse with all enclosed parsers]];

I’m sure its because I’ve not moved a directory to the proper location, I saw online that I needed to change the path variables in elasticsearch.yaml, move the elasticsearch lib/log directories

Am I missing something?

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information: Ubuntu 20.04

• Package Version: 4.3.6 (Noir)

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?

Done research, seems to just be a mapping issue but I can’t find where to change the mapping if its on the graylog GUI or in linux itself.

Sorry if I’ve worded this poorly, appreciate any help.

Hello,
not sure but check permissions on data directory. And or manually rotate you indices after that see if it fixes the issue. Showing the original message would help. That’s all I can give right now. I’m jumping on an airplane back home

Thanks for getting back to me, checked the permissions everything seems to be in order on that front.

I get this error when running systemctl status graylog-server

if it helps in anyway

Manually rotating the indices worked!

Should have checked that as well, thanks for your help

2 Likes

Mark the answer for future searchers! :smiley:

1 Like

awesome-yes-will-ferrell

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.