Questions and You: A guide to getting an answer

Hi folks,

Lately it seems that questions are being asked which have been answered already, either on the forum, in the documentation, or with 5 minutes of Googling. Please keep in mind that these are the community forums, where other Graylog users may (or may not) help you with your issues.

However, for a lot of us, having the same question asked repeatedly gets frustrating. So, if you have questions, and you want an answer, here’s the DO and DONT list.

DO

• Supply as much information as possible. E.g. what your issue is, what you have tried to do about it, what information you have found, what is potentially unclear. What version of Graylog you run, what version of Elasticsearch you run, and how they are set up (same machine, separate machines, OVA image, etc.)
  • Ask a question in a way where you are not asking someone else to do all the work for you. Expect people to give you tips and pointers towards information that will help you solve your own problem.
  • Have a little bit of patience, it is a community forum after all, and we all have a life outside of work, forums, and the Internet.

DONT

• Expect us to do all the work for you - we’re all volunteers of sorts, so be patient.
  • Ask questions repeatedly in different topics, it will not help you get it solved any quicker
  • Accept that sometimes, you will be told to go read the manual, or to use Google. Accept this, and just do it. Trust me, you get told for a reason.
  • Demand anything - again, we’re all volunteers here. Demanding things is the quickest way to never having anything answered, ever again.

Hoping to see many smart questions in the future!

P.S. I do not speak for anyone but myself, really, however since I’m getting a little frustrated (and I’m known to have the patience of a saint), I’m sure it’s about time for a post like this. If it isn’t, the moderators can do their thing and zap it :slight_smile:

18 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.