Plugins and the Web Interface

Hi there,

I’m new to Graylog Development and still trying to figure out the code-base and how everything ties together, but I’m struggling with getting a plugin to work while running in development mode with IntelliJ.

I have the server running in IntelliJ, and I also have the npm development web server running so I can make live-changes.

I’ve added a plugin (https://github.com/graylog-labs/graylog-plugin-threatintel) into IntellJ and I can see when I start the server that it loads the plugin:

2017-05-03 11:19:38,228 INFO : org.graylog2.bootstrap.CmdLineTool - Loaded plugin: Threat Intelligence Plugin 0.10.0 [org.graylog.plugins.threatintel.ThreatIntelPlugin]

However, I’m not sure how the plugin needs to integrate with the NPM webserver. Does it need to install files into the graylog2-server/graylog2-web-interface directory?

When I browse to the webserver, under System => Configurations, I can see some information about the newly added threat-intel plugin, but when I click on the “Configure” button, the browser throws a javascript exception:

vendor.js:39306 Uncaught Error: Element type is invalid: expected a string (for built-in components) or a class/function (for composite components) but got: undefined. Check the render method of ThreatIntelPluginConfig.
at invariant (vendor.js:39306)
at instantiateReactComponent (vendor.js:10840)
at instantiateChild (vendor.js:31297)
at traverseAllChildrenImpl (vendor.js:11154)

How can I tell that the browser is able to load the required code in order to render this plugin’s GUI?

Regards

Brad.

After some further research, I’ve discovered that the main webpack (in graylog2-server/graylog2-web-interface/webpack.combined.config.js) is responsible for loading in the GUI code of any plugins by looking for plugins in …/…/graylog-plugin-*/**/webpack.config.js, and I can actually see it being loaded when I run “npm start”:

chunk {59} ThreatIntelPlugin.js (ThreatIntelPlugin) 3.83 MB [entry] [rendered]
[…/…/graylog-plugin-threatintel/node_modules/graylog-web-plugin/plugin.js] /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-threatintel/~/graylog-web-plugin/plugin.js 117 bytes {59} [built]
[…/…/graylog-plugin-threatintel/package.json] /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-threatintel/package.json 492 bytes {59} [built]
[…/…/graylog-plugin-threatintel/src/web/index.jsx] /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-threatintel/src/web/index.jsx 946 bytes {59} [built]
[./node_modules/strip-ansi/index.js] ./~/strip-ansi/index.js 161 bytes {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[./node_modules/url/url.js] ./~/url/url.js 23.3 kB {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[./node_modules/webpack-dev-server/client/index.js?http:/0.0.0.0:8081] (webpack)-dev-server/client?http://0.0.0.0:8081 5.44 kB {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[./node_modules/webpack-dev-server/client/overlay.js] (webpack)-dev-server/client/overlay.js 3.6 kB {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[1] delegated ./node_modules/react/react.js from dll-reference __vendor 42 bytes {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {61} [not cacheable] [built]
[3] delegated ./node_modules/webpack/buildin/global.js from dll-reference __vendor 42 bytes {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [not cacheable] [built]
[./node_modules/webpack-dev-server/client/socket.js] (webpack)-dev-server/client/socket.js 856 bytes {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[./node_modules/webpack/hot/dev-server.js] (webpack)/hot/dev-server.js 1.57 kB {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[./node_modules/webpack/hot/emitter.js] (webpack)/hot/emitter.js 77 bytes {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[./node_modules/webpack/hot/log-apply-result.js] (webpack)/hot/log-apply-result.js 1.02 kB {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} {60} {61} [built]
[8] delegated ./node_modules/react-dom/index.js from dll-reference __vendor 42 bytes {54} {55} {56} {57} {58} {59} [not cacheable] [built]
[52] multi (webpack)-dev-server/client?http://0.0.0.0:8081 webpack/hot/dev-server /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-threatintel/src/web 52 bytes {59} [built]

So can anyone explain why I’m getting the above Javascript exception?

vendor.js:39306 Uncaught Error: Element type is invalid: expected a string (for built-in components) or a class/function (for composite components) but got: undefined. Check the render method of ThreatIntelPluginConfig.
at invariant (vendor.js:39306)
at instantiateReactComponent (vendor.js:10840)
at instantiateChild (vendor.js:31297)
at traverseAllChildrenImpl (vendor.js:11154)

Hej Brad,

did you run graylog-server master?

We had made a few changes that might bring up some issues. But we will take a look at it, later on.

That is the only reason I can think of.

/jd

Hi Jan, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I’m running master - I’ll try the 2.2 branch to see if that makes any difference.

Regards

Brad.

Did you change any of the code? According to this post, it says the name of the React Component was invalid and needed to be in CamelCase.

Hi Bill,

I’ve made no changes as yet - I’m just trying to get to grips with everything before I start on any changes.

I do, however, get these types of errors when starting npm:

ERROR in /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web/pipelines/PipelineForm.jsx
Module not found: Error: Can't resolve 'react-bootstrap' in '/home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web/pipelines'
 @ /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web/pipelines/PipelineForm.jsx 11:22-48
 @ /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web/pipelines/PipelineDetails.jsx
 @ /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web/pipelines/Pipeline.jsx
 @ /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web/pipelines/PipelineDetailsPage.jsx
 @ /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web/index.jsx
 @ multi (webpack)-dev-server/client?http://0.0.0.0:8081 webpack/hot/dev-server /home/bradley/git/graylog-project-repos/graylog-plugin-pipeline-processor/plugin/src/web

They dont seem to be relevant tho, as everything else in the GUI seems to work just fine - the only thing I’m having a problem with is the “Configure” button for the ThreatIntel plugin.

I dont think this is a capitlisation / CamelCase issue. The code which defines the render class looks like this:

const ThreatIntelPluginConfig = React.createClass({
    render() {
        return (
            <div>...</div>
        );
    },
});
export default ThreatIntelPluginConfig;

After checking out 2.2 instead of master, then this plugin seems to be working just fine so I’ll develop from the 2.2 branch, as master seems to be in a state of flux at the moment.

Thanks for all who responded!

Regards

Brad.