Migrate one graylog to another graylog

Hi,

Is it possible to migrate an elasticsearch index from one graylog to another graylog server?

I don’t need to migrate the entire graylog. Just a particular elasticsearch index.

Hello @syntax

Yes this is posibible. I performed this on one of my CentOS 7 server and migrated to Ubuntu 20.0.4.

It was actually simple just like a MySQL Dump.
One issue I did run into was when I started the restore proccess.
If this error occurs check index your indice

ERROR [IndexRotationThread] Couldn’t point deflector to a new index
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [alias] is unsupported for [REMOVE_INDEX]

curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200/_cat/indices?pretty=true'

I belive this was due from my restore index had the same name as my index on the new node. Since this was a new Graylog Server I just deleted the index on the new node and executed the restore process.
Hope that helps

hi gsmith. thanks for the reply once again.

a few questions,

1. how does graylog detect the restored index?
  2. does this process work for multi-node setup?

Hello,

Only thing I did with Graylog is restart the service, so yes. Dont have indices with the same name when you do a restore and your good.
Have a look here on that subject, @aaronsachs explains this procedure well.

As for

To be honest, I have not done this on a multi node setup yet. I would image it can be done. If you have a cluster this could be dupicated on each ES node. All I used was scp command to migrate my indices to another node and performed a restore.

NOTE: Make sure the vsersion of Elasticsearch is the same before you do a restore or you might run into trouble.
Hope that helps

2 Likes

For the multi-node question, a snapshot/restore works for a single-node or multi-node deployment since this is done through the API.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.