Issue with starting Graylog 3.3.2

Hello Everyone,

I am facing issues starting graylog 3.3.2 on a custom built OS. I have installed Graylog from source.

As soon as I hit /usr/share/graylog/bin/graylogctl start.

I get the following error in the logs:
Error: server VM not supported

I have openjdk-8 installed.
java -version
openjdk version “1.8.0_252-internal”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_252-internal-ga)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.252-bga, mixed mode)

Not sure how to resolve this.

Just a thought - Any way to let graylog just see the openjdk version as 1.8.0_252 and not 1.8.0_252-internal. I think that is the issue.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
-=Srijan Nandi

The only difference that I see on a working Graylog built on Ubuntu is here the java version looks like this:

java -version
openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_252-8u252-b09-1~18.04-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

did you set all environment settings proper?

Hello Jan,

The environment was setup up properly. I even did an export of JAVA_HOME before starting garylog.

Finally, got the issue resolved by removing “-server” from GRAYLOG_SERVER_JAVA_OPTS. So now my GRAYLOG_SERVER_JAVA_OPTS looks like this:

GRAYLOG_SERVER_JAVA_OPTS="-Xms2g -Xmx2g -XX:NewRatio=1 -XX:+ResizeTLAB -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow"

Earlier when it was giving the error it looked like:

GRAYLOG_SERVER_JAVA_OPTS="-Xms2g -Xmx2g -XX:NewRatio=1 -server -XX:+ResizeTLAB -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow"

Don’t know as to why it didn’t like “-server”, though.

Thanks, Jan.

-=Srijan Nandi

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.