Incoming vs Outgoing Messages

(Steve) #1

Hi everyone,

I have had a look around but have not been able to find an answer on this one.

We have just deployed a new Graylog setup (Currently only 1 Graylog server and 1 separate Elasticsearch server) and I would like to know what I should be expecting with the In vs Out messages.

I would expect that they would be roughly the same, however at the moment our incoming number is a lot higher then the outgoing (currently 247in/82 out). I have also seen the Out significantly higher.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Should the In/Out number of messages be relatively even?
  2. What does a much higher In than Out indicate?
  3. What does a much higher Out than In indicate (slow writing to Elasticsearch?)

Thanks

(Jan Doberstein) #2

So I guess my questions are:

• Should the In/Out number of messages be relatively even?

yes - in a well balanced setup that should be. Only peaks might have higher input that output.

• What does a much higher In than Out indicate?

Higher input means that the writing to Elasticsearch (out) can’t write the same speed as messages are coming in.

• What does a much higher Out than In indicate (slow writing to Elasticsearch?)

Higher out indicate that the journal (the Graylog buffer) is draining out the messages that are buffer.

also if you have pipelines setup to drop certain messages, the output will not match the input

(Steve) #4

Thanks guys. We are now pretty constantly seeing about double the out vs in (247/547). The disk journal utilization is at 1%, Input,Output and Process buffers are sitting at 0%.

Does this seem to indicate a problem?

do you have pipelines rules setup to make a copy of messages or some other output setup?

(Steve) #6

No, no pipelines or outputs configured at all. Just a few streams and dashboards…

(Jan Doberstein) #7

Hej @Steve

it looks like you have two index sets - one default and one additional and messages are routed into two streams that have both different index sets.

Please read the documentation on Index sets:

http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.3/pages/streams.html#storage-requirements

(Steve) #8

Thanks Jan. Actually I somewhat figured this out this afternoon but forgot to update this thread. It clicked in my mind that the only non standard thing we were using was the netflow plugin. I disabled this input and then sure enough the in/out was 50/50.

So I am not sure now if the plugin or netflow itself is the issue. But at least I am narrowing it down and have stopped the double up for now.

Appreciate everyones thoughts/help on this.

(system) #9

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.