Help needed with a pipeline rule (v2.4.6)

Hi, i have a field which contains string value. And when i try to sort it ascending or descending, it does but not correctly. So i though that creating a new field and converting it to long and then sorting it there with pipeline rule, would be helpful. But i think i have messed up with this. Could you help me to fix this rule?

rule "ElapsedTimeLong"
when
   has_field("$message.elapsedTime")
then
   set_field("elapsedTimeLONG", to_long($message.elapsedTime));
end

Hello @ithfdemir:

Is this related to this thread?

Converting the incoming data element in a Graylog pipeline rule alone won’t accomplish what you’re looking for since ultimately the typing is determined by the Elasticsearch indexing. If the data element looks like a number it’s more likely that the field will store as a numerical type but Elasticsearch won’t be directly informed by the handling done in Graylog.

Your Graylog version is older than I have worked with so I can’t speak to process differences between 2.4.6 and what we’re on (4.0.6) or what I used initially (3.2.1) but we have been using custom index mappings with good success since the start.

https://docs.graylog.org/en/4.0/pages/configuration/elasticsearch.html#custom-index-mappings

To your question about the rule specifically, I’m looking at the logic and it looks correct to me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.