Graylog on Ec2 error in binding to public ip

I have tried starting the graylog server after changing the “rest_listen_uri” and “rest_transport_uri” to my EC2’s public IP. The logs when trying to start server are as follows. Any help would be appreciated.

2018-03-14 21:09:59,622 INFO : org.elasticsearch.node - [graylog2-server] closed
2018-03-14 21:09:59,629 INFO : org.graylog2.bootstrap.commands.Server - SIGNAL received. Shutting down.
2018-03-14 21:09:59,643 INFO : org.graylog2.system.shutdown.GracefulShutdown - Graceful shutdown initiated.
2018-03-14 21:09:59,645 INFO : org.graylog2.system.shutdown.GracefulShutdown - Node status: [Halting?[LB:DEAD]]. Waiting <3sec> for possible load balancers to recognize state change.
Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected the service to be TERMINATED, but the service has FAILED
	at com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractService.checkCurrentState(AbstractService.java:285)
	at com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractService.awaitTerminated(AbstractService.java:255)
	at com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractIdleService.awaitTerminated(AbstractIdleService.java:165)
	at org.graylog2.system.shutdown.GracefulShutdown.doRun(GracefulShutdown.java:102)
	at org.graylog2.system.shutdown.GracefulShutdown.runWithoutExit(GracefulShutdown.java:75)
	at org.graylog2.bootstrap.commands.Server$ShutdownHook.run(Server.java:195)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: org.jboss.netty.channel.ChannelException: Failed to bind to: /35.153.31.52:12900
	at org.jboss.netty.bootstrap.ServerBootstrap.bind(ServerBootstrap.java:272)
	at org.graylog2.shared.initializers.RestApiService.startUp(RestApiService.java:249)
	at com.google.common.util.concurrent.AbstractIdleService$2$1.run(AbstractIdleService.java:54)
	at com.google.common.util.concurrent.Callables$3.run(Callables.java:95)
	... 1 more
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:463)
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:455)
	at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:223)
	at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:74)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerBoss$RegisterTask.run(NioServerBoss.java:193)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.processTaskQueue(AbstractNioSelector.java:391)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:315)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerBoss.run(NioServerBoss.java:42)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42)
	at com.codahale.metrics.InstrumentedExecutorService$InstrumentedRunnable.run(InstrumentedExecutorService.java:176)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1152)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:622)

server.conf:

is_master = true
node_id_file = /etc/graylog/server/node-id
password_secret = XXX # redacted
root_password_sha2 = 5e884898da28047151d0e56f8dc6292773603d0d6aabbdd62a11ef721d1542d8
rest_listen_uri = http://35.153.31.52:12900/
rest_transport_uri = http://35.153.31.52:12900/

it looks like the adress you entered is not available on the locat interface

Cannot assign requested address

Hi @jan but that is what my ec2 instance’s ip address is.

I just observed that rest_listen_uri = http://public IP:9000/ is causing the trouble. whenever i am commenting the thing out server starts fine. but when i am uncommenting out it fails saying Cannot assign requested address. @jochen need help please…

No, that’s the public IP address the AWS edge router assigns to your EC2 instance but it’s not a local IP address of your EC2 instance.

If you need individual support with fixed SLA, please consider buying professional support services:

I am trying to run web and api on same host same port

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.