I would like to follow-up with @mattmatics post from a long while ago.
To summarize the story up to now:
- @mattmatics and myself are making graphs, our goal is to graph the total count of a specific event happening.
- To do this, we’re graphing “Total” on the “Source” field, a non-numeric field.
- This works, as @jochen demonstrated in that thread.
- However, every time this graph is drawn, ElasticSearch throws Java errors, because: “Expected numeric type on field [source], but got [text]”
- This generates lots of extraneous logging that only serves to pollute the logs. Thousands of lines every hour if the Dashboard is left open.
Now, as @jan pointed out in the linked thread: “the statistics - or part of that can not be run on any kind of field - in this case the field is text and not numeric.”
So… On the one hand it works just fine (Matt and I get the graph we want, showing the total count of our query), but on the other hand Elastic throws up errors every time.
Am I being daft and am I simply missing The Right And Proper Way To Do This™?