GEO IP Not Working

Check these things:

1. Check your processing order, your order is wrong, if you use pipeline rules. Please move your Message Filter chain before Pipeline Processor.
  2. Check if your geoip lookup table works. Put a internet ip address to section Test Lookup in field Key, and it should return GEO information.
  3. If not, check your data adaptor if you use correct Database type for your downloaded file. I use GeoLite2-City.mmdb and Database type: City Database. If you use only Country database, change correct type.
  4. Best is to put MaxDB databases to /etc/graylog/server directory, check if graylog service can read file.
  5. You need extracted field with ip addresss, for example src_ip with only ip adresses to use in lookup table. I couldn’t see any ip field in your fields screenshot. So create extractor or pipeline rule for ip field extraction first.
  6. You can use geo ip lookup table in several parts: Extractor, Converter, Decorator or Pipeline Rule.
  7. There is no special geoip map icon in field.
  8. If you want to create World Map widget, create widget from field src_ip_geo_location (or Show top values) and change Visualization type to World Map.
  9. If you use Selinux (CentOS, RHEL) try to disable to check, if it’s not blocking access to geoip db file.

For example I used this pipeline rule, to geoip from field src_ip.

rule “GeoIP lookup: src_ip”
when
has_field(“src_ip”)
then
let geo = lookup(“geoip”, to_string($message.src_ip));
set_field(“src_ip_geo_location”, geo[“coordinates”]);
set_field(“src_ip_geo_country”, geo[“country”].iso_code);
set_field(“src_ip_geo_city”, geo[“city”].names.en);
end

1 Like