Find source of compound fields

Hi,

seems like I am in a similar situation as described in Compound(long,string) after setting type hint in graylog extractor but I am unable to get Graylog/Elastic to treat some fields as a number.

• We have fields (bytes_sent and bytes_received, potentially more) that were automatically stored as type keyword
  • We changed the Graylog index template to make sure it is stored as long as it is described in the documentation ( https://docs.graylog.org/en/3.2/pages/configuration/elasticsearch.html#custom-index-mappings )
  • We rotated the active write index and waited 30 minutes
  • We verified that Elastic treats it as long (see below)
  • When searching within the last 5 minutes Graylog still shows the field as compound type (in the query input as well as in the side-menu field list)

How do I get Graylog to realize the type changed when working only with new data?
Now being able to use the chart function usually available by clicking on the field is really annoying.

Thanks!

Some more information:

• Graylog Enterprise customer
  • Graylog 3.2.4+a407287 on <redacted> (Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_252 on Linux 3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64)
  • As of now only a single index set is configured

Excerpt from curl -X GET 'http://localhost:9200/graylog_deflector/_mapping?pretty'

"bytes_received" : {
            "type" : "long"
          },
          "bytes_sent" : {
            "type" : "long"
          },

just one guess - did you have in your older indices data from the current time?

If you look what indices are used for search is that only the current one or older indices too?

Also - make sure your search is only against the index you corrected - if you are searching across streams/indexes you may be accidentally including and index where bytes_sent has not been fixed. if you expand a message on the search you can see all that similar to this:

just one guess - did you have in your older indices data from the current time?

Not that I would be aware of. After index timeframe recalculation the timeframes displayed seem ok so no other index should be involved.

If you look what indices are used for search is that only the current one or older indices too?

Only the current one (currently graylog_129) is used.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.