ERROR: Unable to access file /data after upgrade to 3.0

Greetings everyone,

I just tried to upgrade my personal lab Graylog from 2.5 to 3.0 using packages on CentOS and after a few tries I’m currently stuck with the following error in my /var/log/graylog-server/server.log file

2019-02-21T22:01:20.375+01:00 ERROR [KafkaJournal] Cannot create journal directory at /data/journal, please check the permissions
2019-02-21T22:01:20.378+01:00 ERROR [CmdLineTool]

################################################################################

ERROR: Unable to access file /data

When I first started Graylog service, the /etc/graylog/server/server.conf file indeed contained a wrong value for data_dir parameter.
I since then replaced the value that was data_dir = data to data_dir = /var/lib/graylog-server and tried to restart the graylog-server service but with no success …
Any idea where I could have a look ?

1 Like

Well I’ve not read the config file correctly … :hot_face:
I forgot to change the value of parameter message_journal_dir

The issue I ran into is due to the fact that I deploy with ansible and I use templates to tailor the configuration file.
I took the configuration file from https://github.com/Graylog2/graylog2-server/blob/master/misc/graylog.conf and value for bin_dir, data_dir, plugin_dir and message_journal_dir are not correct in this file …
My bad because they are correct in the configuration file that comes with the RPM package.
Good lesson for the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice job :slight_smile: Good that you managed to get things working!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.