"Couldn't refresh data adapter..." logged, but lookup table works fine

Before you post: Your responses to these questions will help the community help you. Please complete this template if you’re asking a support question.
Don’t forget to select tags to help index your topic!

1. Describe your incident:
We receive the following message in server.log every 60 seconds (the configured refresh time):

2022-05-20T12:13:36.756-04:00 ERROR [LookupDataAdapter] Couldn't refresh data adapter <windows-logon-types/6274300e8c8ab565328a4388/@775eddcf>
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "org.graylog2.plugin.utilities.FileInfo.checkForChange()" because "this.fileInfo" is null
        at org.graylog2.lookup.adapters.CSVFileDataAdapter.doRefresh(CSVFileDataAdapter.java:125) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.graylog2.plugin.lookup.LookupDataAdapter.refresh(LookupDataAdapter.java:109) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at org.graylog2.lookup.LookupDataAdapterRefreshService.lambda$schedule$0(LookupDataAdapterRefreshService.java:142) ~[graylog.jar:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) [?:?]

2. Describe your environment:

• OS Information: Ubuntu 20.04

• Package Version: Graylog 4.2.9

• Service logs, configurations, and environment variables:
    Simple pair of CSV lookup tables with no-cache set.

3. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?
Rebuilt the CSVs. Lookups do work, both in searches and in the “Test lookup” function

4. How can the community help?
Help me understand why I’m getting these errors.

Helpful Posting Tips: Tips for Posting Questions that Get Answers [Hold down CTRL and link on link to open tips documents in a separate tab]

Could be permission issues on the file? Readable but not writable?

Hello

Adding on to @tmacgbay suggestion, I found this

Thanks - I will take a look next week, but I believe the files are writable. That said, why would they need to be? They’re strictly for reading some key/value pairs.

I agree there should be no need to write - the article @gsmith posts points out the person had a older unused data adapter associated …

OK, I’m stumped. I’ve removed the CSV files from each server, recreated them, gave user/owner RW permissions, updated the data adapters to force them to be recreated but still have the same issue. Since the lookups are working and these are static tables, I’m just going to change the update frequency to a large value and ignore the noise.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.