Clone message function causing graylog down due to rapid increase of messages

Hi All,

Graylog (3.1.0-beta.3-1) is running in kubernetes via helm charts and it has 2 nodes with total 8 cpu cores, 16GB RAM.
Elasticsearch (6.2.4) is running in kubernetes via helm charts and it has 3 master, 2 data & 1 dedicated ingest nodes with total 17GB RAM & 6 cpu cores.

I am processing winlogbeat data to graylog via beats port and I have added pipeline with rules in graylog to process the data and route it to other stream and below is the rule I have created,

rule "winlogbeat_alerts"
when
    to_string($message.beats_type) == "winlogbeat"
then
    let msg = clone_message();
    let alertType = "windowsEvent";
    set_field("alertType", alertType, "", "", msg);
    set_field("@timestamp", to_string($message.timestamp), "", "", msg);
    route_to_stream("Alerts_Input", "", msg);
end

From winlogbeat, I am getting roughly 10 msg / second since I have enabled only Error/Warning. After adding the above pipeline rule, I can see an exponential growth in the throughtout. I don’t know why it is so.

It shows some 10000+ msg / second processed via that pipeline rule.

This situation leads to 100% heap size usage within few minutes and Graylog crashes.

2019-08-03T19:40:53.028Z WARN  [ProxiedResource] Unable to call http://graylog.southeastasia.cloudapp.azure.com:9000/api/system on node <7bd8596d-a8ab-406e-abca-0715d20b8f70>
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_212]
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:116) ~[?:1.8.0_212]

If I just change clone_message to create_message , then everything becomes smooth and the throughput also shows whai is correct around 10 mgs/second.

Is this a bug with clone_message or I am doing anything wrong.

Note: I have tried this with version 3.0 as well but the same issue occured.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Ganeshbabu R

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.