Alerting - Show additional field values from original message without grouping by field

I have firewall logs streaming to Graylog. For all blocked traffic, I want an alert to trigger on every unique source IP but list all individual destination ports it attempted to connect to in the alert notification. I only want alerts to be grouped by the source IP of the traffic, so I set source_ip (a field parsed from the original message) in the “Filter & Aggregation” > “Aggregation” > “Group by Field(s)” section. This works fine.

My issue is in the Custom Fields section… I want to include the destination_port field (a field parsed from the original message, just like source_ip above) in the alert notification to give me extra context when I receive the alert. However, it appears the only way to expose the destination_port field from the original message(s) is to add them in the “Group by Field(s)” section, which will group alerts by each unique combination of source_ip and destination_port, which is not what I want. Again, I want an alert for each unique source_ip value with all destination_port values associated with the source_ip alert group.

One idea I had was to access the desired field through the backlog, but the backlog configuration in the Notifications section of the Event Definition forces you to set a limit for the number of messages in it, which is not what I want. I want every message that contributed to creating the alert so I can fully populate the list of destination_port values in the alert. For some reason, this configuration is possible in the configuration of the Notification itself- there, you configure the “Message Backlog Limit”, and if you set it to 0, no limit will be enforced.

My Environment:

• Linux 4.19.0-12-amd64
  • Debian 11.0.13
  • Graylog 4.2.0+5adccc3
  • MongoDB 4.2.10
  • Elasticsearch 7.10.2

Hello,

After re-reading you post what I came up with is something like this.

What I did was make a Stream for failed users Logon.
My expectation was showing each IP Address that failed to logon from SSH connection.
In the picture above you can see my staggering logon attempts between two remote devices.

I set my search for one minute and grouped by source. This is about as close as I can get to what I think you wanted. By decrease my search time to 1 minute and increasing my number of backlogs I get all my messages.

If this is not what you wanted , is it possible to show what you want.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.